Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

zzzzoooo
Frequent Visitor

Average of the team ?

Hi,

I've spent the last few days to figure out a way to calculate the average of a measure of all individuals in a team, but in vain. I hope that you could give me a hint.

I have a Matrix visual where leaders can choose a team in a slicer, then the Matrix will dynamically show the employees in the columns (# of columns varies depending on the # of employees in a team). The last column is obviously the total of all employees in a team. The challenge here is to add another column for the average. So, columns would be: Metric, Employee 1, employee 2..... employee n, team average, total. How could I accomplish that ?

It might be impossible. In that case, I think about a simpler way: creating a new measure, and add it as a row. So, the rows would be different metrics, such sales, average team sales, revenu, average team revenue, expenses, average expenses, etc. Since the table has different sales items for each employee, I can't simply write : average (Sales), because that would return the average sales of each employee. For example, employee 1 has an average sale per item of $10K, employee 2 has an average $12K and so on. That's not what I want. I'd like like to have the average of the whole team; so the same average would repeat for each employee in the same team. For example, there are only 2 employees: one with sales of $10K, the other has $12K. Then the team average is $11K; and that $11K will repeat for employee 1 and 2.

How could I write that new measure that calculates the average of the whole team ? And be reminded that # of employees (# of columns) varies, depending on the team.

Thank you very much for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @zzzzoooo ,

How are you dynamically changing the number of columns in the visual?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

By default, the rows in a Matrix visual are dynamic, i.e. automatically expand or shrink, depending on # input. Well, there's a control to swap from dynamic rows to columns; it's called "Show on rows", under the "Values" format.

With that control, my columns are dynamic, and my rows are static. I have a fixed # of rows, each represents a metric. And, I'd like to add a new row representing the team average, and I don't know how. The formula "Average(Sale)" would give me the average sale per item for each employee, and not the team average as I wish.

hi, @zzzzoooo 

You may use ALLSELECTED Function in your Average measure to get it.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/managing-all-functions-in-dax-all-allselected-allnoblankrow-allexcept...

If you still have the problem, please share some simple sample data and your expected output.

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.