Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zzzzoooo
Frequent Visitor

Average of the team ?

Hi,

I've spent the last few days to figure out a way to calculate the average of a measure of all individuals in a team, but in vain. I hope that you could give me a hint.

I have a Matrix visual where leaders can choose a team in a slicer, then the Matrix will dynamically show the employees in the columns (# of columns varies depending on the # of employees in a team). The last column is obviously the total of all employees in a team. The challenge here is to add another column for the average. So, columns would be: Metric, Employee 1, employee 2..... employee n, team average, total. How could I accomplish that ?

It might be impossible. In that case, I think about a simpler way: creating a new measure, and add it as a row. So, the rows would be different metrics, such sales, average team sales, revenu, average team revenue, expenses, average expenses, etc. Since the table has different sales items for each employee, I can't simply write : average (Sales), because that would return the average sales of each employee. For example, employee 1 has an average sale per item of $10K, employee 2 has an average $12K and so on. That's not what I want. I'd like like to have the average of the whole team; so the same average would repeat for each employee in the same team. For example, there are only 2 employees: one with sales of $10K, the other has $12K. Then the team average is $11K; and that $11K will repeat for employee 1 and 2.

How could I write that new measure that calculates the average of the whole team ? And be reminded that # of employees (# of columns) varies, depending on the team.

Thank you very much for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @zzzzoooo ,

How are you dynamically changing the number of columns in the visual?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

By default, the rows in a Matrix visual are dynamic, i.e. automatically expand or shrink, depending on # input. Well, there's a control to swap from dynamic rows to columns; it's called "Show on rows", under the "Values" format.

With that control, my columns are dynamic, and my rows are static. I have a fixed # of rows, each represents a metric. And, I'd like to add a new row representing the team average, and I don't know how. The formula "Average(Sale)" would give me the average sale per item for each employee, and not the team average as I wish.

hi, @zzzzoooo 

You may use ALLSELECTED Function in your Average measure to get it.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/managing-all-functions-in-dax-all-allselected-allnoblankrow-allexcept...

If you still have the problem, please share some simple sample data and your expected output.

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.