Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JaniceBradley
Regular Visitor

After automatic refresh, permissions disappear

Hi, 

I'm newish to PowerBI, I have a question and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. My query is a little vague. 😞

I have a report with RLS configured and it works fine in the desktop version. I then publish this to the powerbi service and there is an embedded powerbi custom made application where the users can view the report. This all works ok until I do an automatic refresh, then the permissions don't seem to work as expected. My issue is that I don't really know where to look. Could this be related to the custom application or could it be related to the powerbi service and if it is the service, where could I look?

Sorry about the vagueness of the question.

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JaniceBradley ,

I think you are right. RLS doesn't work with SQL Server on-premises in Power BI Embedded.

Maybe you can try to use live connection mode to connect SSAS instead of SQL Server.

Create a new tabular model project 

RLS in Analysis Services tabular model 

Manage data source - Analysis Services 

Row-level security with Power BI Embedded 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak Thanks. So the issue would be with the custom application, there's nowhere to look in power bi service? I haven't configured the application so I don't know my way around. I believe however that the first step in the application is:  bool getCredentialsResult = await GetTokenCredentials();

Could it be a case that RLS has not been setup in the application?

Thanks. 

Just looking a bit further. In the article you reference above, it mentions the following: 

Token-based Identity limitations
RLS doesn't work with SQL Server on-premises.

My data source is an SQL on-premises server. Does this mean that the token based auth in embededed will not work?

Thanks. 

Hi @JaniceBradley ,

I think you are right. RLS doesn't work with SQL Server on-premises in Power BI Embedded.

Maybe you can try to use live connection mode to connect SSAS instead of SQL Server.

Create a new tabular model project 

RLS in Analysis Services tabular model 

Manage data source - Analysis Services 

Row-level security with Power BI Embedded 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.