Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tstraker
Frequent Visitor

Adding an IF to a CALCULATE measure

Hi All, 

I have a simple measure that calculates the number of closed stories that are related to my work items (in Azure Devops).

M related count closed = CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'WorkItemLinks'[TargetWorkItemId]),
    'WorkItemLinks'[LinkTypeName] = "related", WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] = "Closed"
)

The results work fine for anything that actually has any closed related items. However if there are none (no closed items returned) then I simply want to render the value for that row as '0'.

Can I can add a default value or an IF statement to the end of my calculate in some way?

The loose logic would be as follows:

'WorkItemLinks'[LinkTypeName] = "related", WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] = "Closed"
) .... IF count returns null or 0 then set value to '0'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tstraker I would recommend to add + 0 to your original measure which is working and you are good

) + 0

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tstraker I would recommend to add + 0 to your original measure which is working and you are good

) + 0

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks @parry2k - I went with this solution as its the lowest code.

@ChrisMendoza- Your solution also worked, I'm not sure how to represent that, can we accept multiple replies as a solution? I also learn't about SWITCH form your input so that was a bonus to!

thanks everyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try:

If(IsBlank(WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State]), 0, CALCULATE(
))

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Thanks, I see the logic but the following error occurs.

A single value for column 'TargetWorkItem.State' in table 'WorkItemLinks' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.
"Closed" is one of several values for the State column. Perhaps we could say <> to "Closed"?

I tried:

M related count closed = If(WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] <> "Closed"), 0, CALCULATE(
))

But then got this error (so I'm clearly doing that wrong 😉 😞

The syntax for ',' is incorrect. (DAX(If(WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] <> "Closed"), 0, CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'WorkItemLinks'[TargetWorkItemId]), 'WorkItemLinks'[LinkTypeName] = "related", WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] = "Closed")))).

Hi,

Remove the ) after "Closed"

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

@tstraker -

Have you tried a SWITCH statement instead? Also in your last reply...

@tstraker wrote:

Thanks, I see the logic but the following error occurs.

A single value for column 'TargetWorkItem.State' in table 'WorkItemLinks' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.
"Closed" is one of several values for the State column. Perhaps we could say <> to "Closed"?

I tried:

M related count closed = If(WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] <> "Closed"), 0, CALCULATE(
))

But then got this error (so I'm clearly doing that wrong 😉 😞

The syntax for ',' is incorrect. (DAX(If(WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] <> "Closed"), 0, CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'WorkItemLinks'[TargetWorkItemId]), 'WorkItemLinks'[LinkTypeName] = "related", WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] = "Closed")))).

You closed your IF right after If(WorkItemLinks[TargetWorkItem.State] <> "Closed"). That is my guess as to your error message.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @ChrisMendoza 

I like the idea of a SWITCH, however I need help in structuring it.

I've started off by placing my calculate measure into a VAR.

VAR countVar = CALCULATE(
)

Then I want to be able to execute my SWITCH (need help here)

VAR countVar= CALCULATE(
)

Return SWITCH(countVar = BLANK(), True, 0, Countvar)

In the switch, I'm attempting to say:

If countVar = nothing (Blank) then set the value to 0, otherwise use the countVar value.

@tstraker -

It would be more like:

SWITCH (
  TRUE ( ),
  countVar = 0, 0,
  countVar
)

You can read more about it at https://powerpivotpro.com/2015/03/the-diabolical-genius-of-switch-true/.

If you had supplied a data sample, we could help you more effectively.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.