Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

leeham
Frequent Visitor

Rate of change - DAX code

Hi,

I feel like I am missing something and wondered if anyone could see the mistake and know the solution?

Date referenced in the code is a date (monthly) within a date table with a DD Month YYYY format.

When I use the code below by using DATE function, i get this error:
Error Message:
MdxScript(Model) (368, 21) Calculation error in measure 'Append1'[New rate Delta]: An argument of function 'DATE' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small.

If I try the parrellperiod function, i get this error:
Error Message:
MdxScript(Model) (367, 31) Calculation error in measure 'Append1'[New rate Delta]: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

New rate Delta = 
var max_date = MAX(Dates[Date])
--var minus_1_dates = CALCULATE(PARALLELPERIOD(Dates[Date],-1,MONTH),Dates[Date]=MAX(Dates[Date]))
var minus_1_dates = DATE(YEAR(MAX(Dates[Date])),MONTH(MAX(Dates[Date]))-1, DAY(MAX(Dates[Date])))

var curr = CALCULATE(Append1[new_rate],Dates[Date]=max_date)
var prev = 
   CALCULATE(Append1[new_rate],Dates[Date]=minus_1_dates)
return
DIVIDE(curr-prev,
        prev
)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
leeham
Frequent Visitor

Solution:

I was close with using parallelperiod.
When i used lastdate with it, it pulled through the one month i needed and the rest worked.
With it set to -1 it will pull the lastdate -1 month (as I specifcied month in the parallperiod).
This solution gives the freedom to set any number of days/months/years.
The solution will also allow for user input if you tweak the -1 to a variable that reads user input.

New rate Delta = 
var minus_1_dates = CALCULATE(LASTDATE(PARALLELPERIOD(Dates[Date],-1,MONTH)))
return

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
leeham
Frequent Visitor

Solution:

I was close with using parallelperiod.
When i used lastdate with it, it pulled through the one month i needed and the rest worked.
With it set to -1 it will pull the lastdate -1 month (as I specifcied month in the parallperiod).
This solution gives the freedom to set any number of days/months/years.
The solution will also allow for user input if you tweak the -1 to a variable that reads user input.

New rate Delta = 
var minus_1_dates = CALCULATE(LASTDATE(PARALLELPERIOD(Dates[Date],-1,MONTH)))
return

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@leeham 

Are you sure there are no blanks?

Thanks for getting back to me.
EDIT: new rate doesn't have blanks. In the measure that creates new_rate, I had set blanks to 0. I'm guessing this means it is something else.

The date field will be full and complete...the new_rate measure may contain blanks.
Let's assume it does, what would you do to fix that?

@leeham 

Ah! Just now I saw the code. You cannot just -1 from a month number. Suppose the month number is 1 then result would be 0 which results in an error. Are you trying to calculate the value for the previous month?

I am yes - more specifically X number of months ago. Sometimes it may only be 1, sometimes it may be 3 or more.
Looking to copy the measure solution to do a year version.

The date ranges from 31-Jan-19 to 30-Sep-22. Only the end of the month is captured and not inbetween days.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.