Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mathias1998
Frequent Visitor

Burndown chart - dates and approvals?

Hi,

I have a data set where I want to make a burndown chart.

X-axis: Dates.

Y-axis: Remaining approvals.

Line 1: Approval Planned

Line 2: Approval Actual

So far, I have the following relevant columns: 

- ID, these are the units which can be approved.

- Approval Planned, consists of date values (e.g., 30.12.2022 if the approval is planned for 30.12.2022)

- Approval Actual, consits of date values (e.g., 10.10.2022, if it was actually approved on 10.10.2022). Note that cells are blank until if they have not been approved yet.

- I also have calculated a column called Approval Remaining, though I am not sure it is relevant in a burn down chart. It consists of the value 1 for cells that contain a date in the Approval Actual and the value 0 for cells that contain no date (i.e. are blank) in Approval Actual.

Any helpful tips here would be highly appreciated! 😁

UPDATE: While waiting for answers, I tried to make a new calenedar table and made a *:1 relationship between the calendar table's date column and the ID column in my other table (connecting the Approval Date to the calendar table did not work because of cardinality). Afterwards, I made a new column = RELATED('OtherTable'[Approval Planned]) to insert a column that would contain the dates which are planned (e.g. 24.08.2022 would show up in the new column next to the 24.08.2022 row in the Date column). I get no errors, but all of the cells in the new column are empty. Hence, I am not any closer to a solution...

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mathias1998 

Can you provide sample data for testing? Sensitive information can be removed in advance. What kind of expected results do you expect? You can also show it with pictures. I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti , 

I have the following relevant columns.

mathias1998_0-1666074371068.png

Which may only consist of dates. 

However, I also have a status column which may be helpful (filtered to show more values): 

mathias1998_1-1666074500277.png

Based on the Status column, I have made two additional columns. The first one is: 

Approved by Status as number =
SWITCH([Status],"0-Not Started",0,"1-Deliverable Defined",1,"2-Draft",2,"3-Draft in Review",3,"4-Review for Approval",4,"4-Approved",5)

The seocnd is: 
Status not approved = IF('Deliverable Tracker'[Status]="4-Approved",0,1) 

Attached image for context: 

mathias1998_3-1666074925296.png

It might make sense to make the burn down chart using the Status not approved column as the "actual approval status" line, but I would still need to use the Approval Planned column to set the "planned approval" line. 

Finally, the expected result will hopefully look something like this: 

mathias1998_4-1666076332840.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors