Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SBC
Helper III
Helper III

Issue with Displaying Correct Subtotals in Matrix Visual

Hello,

I'm seeking assistance with a matrix visual in Power BI where I need to use a specific column as a value without aggregation. Despite my efforts, the subtotals are not displaying as expected.

Background
In my 'Table_2', there's a column named (0-1) that I specifically want to display as it is, without any aggregation, in a matrix visual. To ensure that Power BI displays the exact values from this column without summing them up or applying any other aggregate functions, 

I've created a measure with the following DAX formula:

0-1 Measure=
VAR SelectedValue = SELECTEDVALUE('Table_2'[(0-1)])
RETURN IF(ISBLANK(SelectedValue), 0, SelectedValue)

Sample Input Data
Below is a sample of the data from 'Table_2':

Names       (0-1)
AA200
BB300
CC400
DE300

Matrix Visual Configuration
- Rows: Names
- Values: The measure based on the (0-1) column

Current Output with Issue
The matrix correctly displays the individual (0-1) values for each ID, but the subtotal is incorrectly showing as 0.

Matrix Visual:

Names            (0-1)
AA200
BB300
CC400
DE300
Subtotal0

Desired Output
I need the subtotal to accurately sum the individual (0-1) values:

Names                    (0-1)
AA200
BB300
CC400
DE300
Subtotal1200

The Challenge
How can I modify my measure or adjust the matrix settings to ensure that the subtotals correctly calculate the sum of the (0-1) values at each hierarchy level?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or solutions that could help me resolve this issue with the subtotals. Thank you for your time and assistance!

Warm regards,

SBC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @SBC 

I am not sure if this meets your requirement, but I thought as the selectedvalue is a syntax suger for if-hasonevalue-values, if you put the sum in the if conditional branch, you can get the total for the values where the values are multiple.  

DataNinja777_0-1714399005866.png

Best regards,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @SBC 

I am not sure if this meets your requirement, but I thought as the selectedvalue is a syntax suger for if-hasonevalue-values, if you put the sum in the if conditional branch, you can get the total for the values where the values are multiple.  

DataNinja777_0-1714399005866.png

Best regards,

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SBC First, please vote for this idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=082203f1-594f-4ba7-ac87-bb91096c742e

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

Also: https://youtu.be/uXRriTN0cfY
And: https://youtu.be/n4TYhF2ARe8

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler ,

Thanks for your response,

I've attempted to implement the logic from the link you provided, but unfortunately, it's not yielding the expected results.

Thanks,

SBC

DataNinja777
Super User
Super User

Hi @SBC ,

Please try Sumxing over the table of values('Table_2'[Names]) to get the correct subtotal:

DataNinja777_0-1714317250114.png

Best regards,

Hi @DataNinja777 ,                                                                                                                      Thanks for your response. I tried using SUMX as you suggested, but unfortunately, it didn't work as expected. I'm still getting the same values and the subtotals are not calculating correctly.Could you please provide further guidance or an alternative solution?                                                                

SBC_0-1714360513624.png

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

SBC

Hi @SBC ,

You are right.  It shows zero even with sumx.  Is there any reason why you have to use selectedvalue?  Is it not sufficient to use the usual sum function for 'Table_2'[(0-1)]?  

DataNinja777_0-1714395514727.png

Best regards,

Hi @DataNinja777 ,

Thanks for your question! I'm using SELECTEDVALUE because I need to display the exact values from the '0-1' column in a matrix visual without any aggregation. Directly placing the column in the value field defaults to aggregation like sum or max, which isn't suitable for my needs. By converting the column into a measure using SELECTEDVALUE, I can control the output to show individual values as they are. The measure ensures that if there's no value selected, it returns 0, maintaining consistency in the visual display.

However, I'm facing an issue where I can display the values correctly, but I'm unable to sum these values across the visual.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
SBC

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors