Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate sum product for previous 4 quarters individually

I'm trying to create 4 DAX measures to calculate sum product of previous 4 quarters based on date selection from slicer. I'm using following DAX function to achieve that:

avg age qtr-1 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-3,MONTH))
avg age qtr-2 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-6,MONTH))
avg age qtr-3 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-9,MONTH))
avg age qtr-4 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-12,MONTH))

For some reason the values are not correct in the final output. 

For eg, for ID : 1, if I select Dec 31,2020 the correct values are:

Sept 30,2020: 48.49

June 30,2020: 55.92

Mar 31,2020: NA

Sept 30, 2020: 57.51

Please suggest any chages in formula or approach.

Thanks!

PBIX file is attached here for reference: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eV-2kJlpXSMFRne4Pab9Pcc8L_-g6KGO/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak I tried your method but it gave me the same avg age for all the IDs. I did some more research and found that I have to release all filters except on ID in order to get correct numbers. I used ALLEXCEPT function to do that. Here's what my final formula looks like:

Avg age qtr-1 = CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[ID]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-3,MONTH))))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , have you tried Datesqtd with date table ?

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),PREVIOUSQUARTER(('Date'[Date])))

Last to last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,QUARTER)))

Power BI — Qtr on Qtr with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-qtd-questions-time-intelligence-2-5-d842063da839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TlVx7P0A0

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak I tried your method but it gave me the same avg age for all the IDs. I did some more research and found that I have to release all filters except on ID in order to get correct numbers. I used ALLEXCEPT function to do that. Here's what my final formula looks like:

Avg age qtr-1 = CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[ID]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-3,MONTH))))

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors