Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculate sum product for previous 4 quarters individually

I'm trying to create 4 DAX measures to calculate sum product of previous 4 quarters based on date selection from slicer. I'm using following DAX function to achieve that:

avg age qtr-1 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-3,MONTH))
avg age qtr-2 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-6,MONTH))
avg age qtr-3 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-9,MONTH))
avg age qtr-4 = VAR _d1 = MAX(Sheet1[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),DATESINPERIOD(Sheet1[Date],_d1,-12,MONTH))

For some reason the values are not correct in the final output. 

For eg, for ID : 1, if I select Dec 31,2020 the correct values are:

Sept 30,2020: 48.49

June 30,2020: 55.92

Mar 31,2020: NA

Sept 30, 2020: 57.51

Please suggest any chages in formula or approach.

Thanks!

PBIX file is attached here for reference: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eV-2kJlpXSMFRne4Pab9Pcc8L_-g6KGO/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak I tried your method but it gave me the same avg age for all the IDs. I did some more research and found that I have to release all filters except on ID in order to get correct numbers. I used ALLEXCEPT function to do that. Here's what my final formula looks like:

Avg age qtr-1 = CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[ID]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-3,MONTH))))

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , have you tried Datesqtd with date table ?

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))
Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))
Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),PREVIOUSQUARTER(('Date'[Date])))

Last to last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,QUARTER)))

Power BI — Qtr on Qtr with or Without Time Intelligence
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-qtd-questions-time-intelligence-2-5-d842063da839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-TlVx7P0A0

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak I tried your method but it gave me the same avg age for all the IDs. I did some more research and found that I have to release all filters except on ID in order to get correct numbers. I used ALLEXCEPT function to do that. Here's what my final formula looks like:

Avg age qtr-1 = CALCULATE(SUMX(Sheet1, Sheet1[Balance] * Sheet1[Acc Age])/SUM(Sheet1[Balance]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[ID]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-3,MONTH))))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors