Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aghilesiker

sharing sharepoint embedded report with external users

Hello,

I read previous discussions about licenses consideration with SharePoint Embedding. But I cannot find a clear answer to my question.

=> Does Premium SKU (P and EM) cover usage for external users (B2B) in SharePoint Webpart?

Previous discussions focused on A SKUs and licensing violation. I tried by myself and it works with Pro Licences (trial).

In documentation, it is not enough clear :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spo 

• In introduction => "...you can easily create secure internal."
  • Detailing a possible error => "...Azure B2B Guest users accounts are not supported..."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b 

• In Limitations section => "... This feature is not currently available with the Power BI SharePoint Online report web part. ..."

So what is the final statement ? 

My business case is having a report from Power BI Premium workspace share to external users through a SharePoint site publication

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aghilesiker,

Based on my test, We can share the embed report in SP site to external users by the following steps.

1.To add the external user as guest to Azure Active Directory in advance and add them to the Office 365 group. (You can add them as member in the app workspace) .For more details, please check the online document.

333.png
 Capture.PNG

2. Then embed the report in SP site, then the external user can access the report.

Please notice here both accounts are pro. For Power BI Premium workspace you can just add them as guest user in AAD and add them to the Office 365 group. The pro license is not required for the ones that you want to share content to.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aghilesiker,

Based on my test, We can share the embed report in SP site to external users by the following steps.

1.To add the external user as guest to Azure Active Directory in advance and add them to the Office 365 group. (You can add them as member in the app workspace) .For more details, please check the online document.

333.png
 Capture.PNG

2. Then embed the report in SP site, then the external user can access the report.

Please notice here both accounts are pro. For Power BI Premium workspace you can just add them as guest user in AAD and add them to the Office 365 group. The pro license is not required for the ones that you want to share content to.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @aghilesiker ,

I have a Power Bi report published in Pro workspace, I have published the report as an App and sharing it with external users (outside my organization). A few of the users who were using it before are facing an error "Upgrade to Power BI Pro". So I have a question here, If I publish the app link as a webpart in Sharepoint page and provide viewer access to External users, will they be able to access Power BI report in the Sharepoint. All these external users are added as guest users in Azure AD.

Hi @aghilesiker,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors