Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

publishing a report built on a shared dataset results in creation of another dataset

Hi,

I have a Dataset D_source published in the service. I have built a report based on D_source and published it in the service. Upon publishing a new dataset is created alongside D_source. The expectation is that no additional dataset is created. When opening the report derived from D_source the storage model is DirectQuery.

Is my expectation correct that no additional dataset should be created?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @Anonymous ,

My udnerstanding is that the Dataset stays in the original location.  But, I am wondering if you are "seeing" the dataset but that is not the actual location of the dataset in the new location.  I base that on this comment: "

• In the service, when you open the dataset catalog from a workspace, the dataset catalog shows datasets that are in your My Workspace and in other workspaces."

From this article - Intro to datasets across workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I don't have one handy to test with right now but in the past, I know that the report that is sharing the dataset from the other location, has to have the right permissions to use the shared dataset in the first place (also indicating to me that the dataset stays put).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@collinq : I'm trying to follow the one dataset, multiple reports approach (actually I'bve been doing it for a while). 

In this particular case everything sits in one single workspace.  So I'm expecting something like:

|-- Source Dataset

|-- Report based on Source Dataset

|-- Another report based on Source Dataset

What I am getting is:

|-- Source Dataset

|-- Report based on Source Dataset

|-- Another datset which is actually a copy of Source Dataset

|-- Another report based on copy of Source Dataset

..all in one and the same workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors