Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

IC_SLFLORES
Helper II
Helper II

published dataset gateway

Hi all, I've had issues with this for a bit and thought I'd see if anyone had a solution or could point me in the right direction. On some of my reports, I am blending data from a published dataset on service with a on prem server. If I refresh the report in desktop - no problem. If I publish and refresh with a gateway for the "blended" report - no problem. EXCEPT when the published dataset the "blended" report is using also experiences a update. At that point, service is asking me to add the published dataset in the "blended" report to my gateway. 

It prompts me to create a connection for analysis services where the server = webaddress of the published dataset. It asks for windows credential, which I'm a bit confused on as its tied to my microsoft account, but okay I go ahead and enter my windows address (including domain) where it prompts for a map user name connection string to EffectiveUserName. I'm not even sure where to start or what to research to get the correct information to set this up.

Thus far I have been DELETING the blended report from service and REPUBLISHING to avoid having to do this, but its becoming quite cumbersome and preventing my team from using published datasets as a data source. Any ideas??

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @IC_SLFLORES 

When you create a blended dataset is actually called a Composite model. Now when you connect to your On-Premise it uses accounts in the form of "Domain\UserName", but in the Power BI Service it uses "useremail@domain.com".

So to get this to work you need to create a mapping from the "useremail@domain.com" to "Domain\UserName"

Here is video explaining this more User Principal Name (UPN) Mapping in Power BI - Guy in a Cube

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors