Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

publish pbix

Hi all, 

I have 10 reports connected to one dataset, when I download the pbix from the online version, some of the pbix's are limited access to power query or manage relationships, some of them are not and I can edit power query. Also, once I publish one of pbix, the limited pbix publish the existing report online only without any change in the dataset but the unlimited pbix creates a new dataset with its name. 

I am confused why I can see the limited and unlimited pbix in one dataset? how can I change them?

my purpose is to publish the reports in the desktop version without any change in the dataset. can you help me please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

In my opinion, the limited pbix uses the live connection to connect the existed dataset in your Power BI workspace. Because when you use live connection mode, you are not able to see the power query or manage relationships. Therefore, the dataset won’t be added again to your workspace when you publish the pbix to Service. The unlimited pbix is connecting to data source using import mode so that as long as you made any change in the Power query, there will be a new dataset with its name.

To solve this problem, I suggest you to use Import mode for the first pbix you created and publish the pbix with the original dataset to Service. For the rest reports, you can just use the live connection to connect it and publish it. Then there will be one dataset and 10 reports in your workspace.

v-robertq-msft_0-1611542591346.png

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

In my opinion, the limited pbix uses the live connection to connect the existed dataset in your Power BI workspace. Because when you use live connection mode, you are not able to see the power query or manage relationships. Therefore, the dataset won’t be added again to your workspace when you publish the pbix to Service. The unlimited pbix is connecting to data source using import mode so that as long as you made any change in the Power query, there will be a new dataset with its name.

To solve this problem, I suggest you to use Import mode for the first pbix you created and publish the pbix with the original dataset to Service. For the rest reports, you can just use the live connection to connect it and publish it. Then there will be one dataset and 10 reports in your workspace.

v-robertq-msft_0-1611542591346.png

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors