Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AmyParker
Frequent Visitor

powerbi dataset not available in report builder

I have published my dataset from my .bpix file to a team workspace on the service. When I try to access the dataset from power bi report builder, the dataset is not available in the team workspace.

I have changed the permissions of the dataset in the service and made it available to myself.

I am logged into power bi report builder with my own account.

When I publish the dataset to my own workspace it is available in report builder.

8 REPLIES 8
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AmyParker ,

Has your problem been solved? If yes, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AmyParker ,

I can't reproduce your problem, please refer to these documents.

Limitations and considerations 

Announcing support for non-Premium Power BI datasets in Power BI Paginated Report Builder 

If the problem still can't be solved, please create support ticket .

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Can you try and publish the report to an App Workspace?

I do not think you can access shared datasets from "My Workspace"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

hi,

I'm not sure what an App workspace is.

I published my desktop file to a team workspace in the service (based on an office 365 group), changed the permission of the dataset to include myself, within the service. However, when I am trying to access this dataset from report builder it is not showing up. 

(like I say, this whole process is all working completely fine if I publish to my personal workspace instead of the team one. This isn't what I want to achieve as I need the dataset available to the whole team eventually)

Hi @AmyParker ,

Is your problem like this? When you access the Team Workspace (App Workspace), you cannot see any datasets.

If you're a FREE user, you'll meet the problem, because FREE user can't use App Workspace.

h6.PNGh7.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lionel,

thanks very much, this is my problem, and I think this is the solution as well. I realised I also have the same problem when I try to link to the dataset back to a new .bpix desktop file which would also make sense.

Just one thing to mention, I am currently using the pro license on a free trial basis and so I was asuming it would have the functionality. In any case I intend to upgrade to pro so I'll be able to test it out.

Does the owner of the teams workspace also need to have a pro license? I think this workspace was set up by our IT department for O365 teams purposes, so I'm not sure if there is a personal account linked to that, but I'll look into it. If so maybe I can be an owner/admin of the workspace and this would also solve the problem?

thanks and kind regards,

Amy

3 years have passed but i've got the same exact issue.
i got a pro license but cannot see anything, just like the screenshoot above.
i unlocked the situation by logging out from report builder from the account that i must use, log in with a different account, and then log back in with the first user, and then i magically saw all the dataset.

Hi @AmyParker ,

In fact, the Pro trial account can also add dataset connection in Power BI Report Builder. I don't know why you can't, maybe your trial time has expired.

“Does the owner of the teams workspace also need to have a pro license?”

Yes, only users with Pro License can create and access App workspaces.

“I think this workspace was set up by our IT department for O365 teams purposes....”

If necessary, you may ask the IT technical team to assign you a Pro account within the organization.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors