Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ajinkyagaikwad
Frequent Visitor

power bi service(free) sql server data refresh

Hi All,

I have developed reports on Power BI desktop and published them to Power BI service.
I have used SQL server data source. I have simply integrated those reports in a custom web app using Publish to Web feature(using iframe).
Now I want the report data to be refreshed say every 5 minutes. How can it be done?
I can see Scheduled refresh option in dataset, but I need to set Timing for refresh which is limited to 8 times in a day only.
Also will it be OK if I delete the PBIX file from my desktop as I have already uploaded them on service OR it is needed for scheduled refresh?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently the Publish to Web feature will only update the cache once every hour.

Also with Power BI Pro or Power BI free you can only update the dataset 8 times a day.

If you had to delete and re-upload the PBIX you would then have to re-create the Publish to Web link as far as I know

If you are looking for something more real-time you could look into DirectQuery, this might work with Publish to Web, but best solution is to use a Power BI Pro license with DirectQuery which will work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently the Publish to Web feature will only update the cache once every hour.

Also with Power BI Pro or Power BI free you can only update the dataset 8 times a day.

If you had to delete and re-upload the PBIX you would then have to re-create the Publish to Web link as far as I know

If you are looking for something more real-time you could look into DirectQuery, this might work with Publish to Web, but best solution is to use a Power BI Pro license with DirectQuery which will work.

Power BI Blog

Hi

1)So you mean data will be AUTOMATICALLY refreshed after every hour for power BI service free version without any need to schedule?
2)as I have already uploaded reports on Power BI service I can delete them on my desktop and it will not affect data refresh on service. right?

No the data will only refresh once an hour no matter how many times the underlying data is refreshed.

Yes that is correct, but I would HIGHLY recommend keeping a local copy of the PBIX as this is your original source of truth

Power BI Blog

Sorry bit confused by your reply.
1)You mean I can only schedule refresh dataset 8 times a day. If I do not configure schedule refresh, dataset will not get refreshed.(Power BI service free)?

2)If I want to refresh data once in every hour(i.e 24 times in a day) is there any need to configure schedule refresh?

Hi there

1. Yes unless you configure the scheduled refresh, it will NOT auto refresh.

2. Currently unless you have got Power BI Premium you can only refresh 8 times a day.

Power BI Blog

Thank you so much for clarifying my doubts

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors