Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ethan1701

create report style template?

I know that in Power BI Desktop we can change the default styles with a json file (see here). But I can't find any way of doing this in the web service. It would be nice if the text of every new report weren't so tiny.

Any idea if/ how this can be accomplished? The only direction I can think of is once the page is loaded, modifying the DOM and including a custom CSS file. But it sure would be nice if Power BI allowed users to save a report's design as a template or something of the sort.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ethan1701 

Yes, you can change the default theme by JSON file on the desktop, and you can publish the new-theme report into service to keep the same view. for the report template,do you mean the pbit file? 

if yes, please kindly refer to below info:

- A template file contains only the query definitions, data model and reports, but not the data. So it's very small.

- When opening a pbit file the user can enter parameter values. Then only the data matching these query parameters is loaded. 

This is a good read about pbit template files. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ethan1701 

Yes, you can change the default theme by JSON file on the desktop, and you can publish the new-theme report into service to keep the same view. for the report template,do you mean the pbit file? 

if yes, please kindly refer to below info:

- A template file contains only the query definitions, data model and reports, but not the data. So it's very small.

- When opening a pbit file the user can enter parameter values. Then only the data matching these query parameters is loaded. 

This is a good read about pbit template files. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-query-parameters-and-power-bi-templates/

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ethan1701, it is correct that you cannot set the theme for your report in the service.

In general, you should avoid doing (other then cosmetic) changes in the service.

Here is an overview of the differences and similarities between Power BI Desktop and the service: 

Comparing Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors