Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SteveCarter1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Wrong date format on PBI subscribed report preview picture

Hi

I'm on east coast of Australia and have a report that in the PBI service has a tile showing date modified, which show in the correct format.

The date shown here is correct for me, 6th May 2024:

SteveCarter1_0-1715561433792.png

I have a subscription to this report and I get a preview picture of the report page in e-mail. In that picture it shows the date in US format:

SteveCarter1_1-1715561484148.png

When I check where my data is stored (? - About) , it is in Aus:

SteveCarter1_2-1715561780843.png

Any advice on if I can get the date to show in our local correct format?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SteveCarter1 ,

When you view reports directly in the Power BI service, it adheres to the locale settings of your browser or operating system, displaying dates in the format you expect. However, for email subscriptions, the format can default to the service's locale, often US format, which explains the discrepancy you're seeing.

Please try below steps:

1. Adjust the Locale Settings in Power BI Desktop: Before publishing your report, ensure that the locale settings within Power BI Desktop are set to your desired region. This can help in ensuring that the formatting aligns with your expectations.

2. Use DAX to Format Dates: Consider using DAX to explicitly format the date fields. This way, you can control the date format regardless of the locale settings. For example, you can use the FORMAT function to format dates in the "dd/mm/yyyy" format. Here's a simple DAX example: 

FormattedDate = FORMAT('YourTable'[YourDateColumn], "dd/mm/yyyy")

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SteveCarter1 ,

When you view reports directly in the Power BI service, it adheres to the locale settings of your browser or operating system, displaying dates in the format you expect. However, for email subscriptions, the format can default to the service's locale, often US format, which explains the discrepancy you're seeing.

Please try below steps:

1. Adjust the Locale Settings in Power BI Desktop: Before publishing your report, ensure that the locale settings within Power BI Desktop are set to your desired region. This can help in ensuring that the formatting aligns with your expectations.

2. Use DAX to Format Dates: Consider using DAX to explicitly format the date fields. This way, you can control the date format regardless of the locale settings. For example, you can use the FORMAT function to format dates in the "dd/mm/yyyy" format. Here's a simple DAX example: 

FormattedDate = FORMAT('YourTable'[YourDateColumn], "dd/mm/yyyy")

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors