Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

fhorman
Frequent Visitor

Workaround to refresh dataset using R script with enterprise gateway?

We are trying to integrate analysis that has always been done with R into a shared dataset that we have running in a premium workspace.  The goal is to pass the R script some raw data, have the R script perform its analysis, and then incorporate the results of the R script into our datamodel so we can build dashboard that show the results of the R-based analysis.   We have a *prototype *that does this nicely using PowerBI Desktop.

When we went to move to production, we hit the same roadblock I've seen mentioned in other posts - R scripts cannot be refreshed using enterprise gateways.  Unfortunately for us, our firm, as a matter of policy, does not use on premises gateways, whch are the alternative supported by PowerBI.  What I find most frustrating is that our scripts are not actually referencing any on-premises resources.  They are simply doing computation using an R package named 'MatchIt'.   Wondering if there is a workaround that can take advantage of this fact (no on-premises access) so our dataset refresh can incorporate R scripts.  In this specific scenario, it seems to me that no gateway is really needed.   I would imagine that others may be in the same boat and would find the capability useful.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks and kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

hi @fhorman 

Unfortunately, there is no way to get around running the R scripts currently without having the enterprise gateway. The only other option I can possibly think of doing this is to use fabric with a notebook.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @fhorman 

Yeah sorry that is what I meant with regards to the Personal gateway.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

hi @fhorman 

Unfortunately, there is no way to get around running the R scripts currently without having the enterprise gateway. The only other option I can possibly think of doing this is to use fabric with a notebook.

Power BI Blog

Thanks, GilbertQ.    You mention 'without having the enterprise gateway', but I'm assuming you meant to type 'on-premise gateway (in personal mode)' or similar.

I'm not familiar with Fabric notebooks, and see that we don't have 'Fabric capacity' (just Premium Capacity), so it's not an option for me (yet).  Something to research, though.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors