Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

maibacher
Employee
Employee

With Power BI Connected to Project Online, How to Retrieve Custom Columns from the Schedule

Hello, today I'm very happy to have connected a BI report directly to my project schedule located in my Project Center for the first time. But there's just one major problem, which is that the query doesn't bring in the custom columns that my team established.

For example, the query pulls in the task name (probably because task name is a standard column). But the query does NOT bring in team name (probably because my team establish this as a custom column).

My report MUST have team names included. Does anyone have experience or advice to share on how to solve this?

MANY THANKS.

Dan

(Side note but I am using my Microsoft partner account to post this; I am not a Microsoft employee as my username/avatar suggests).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @collinq , I was able to determine that the field in the schedule, though custom, is local to the .pbix file. Only enterprise fields are available to the Power BI query when connected to Project Online. My next task is to build the new enterprise field in the schedule file, populate it, and republish.

I appreciate you looked into this!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maibacher
Employee
Employee

Hi , thanks so much for your reply. I concur that the project schedule data is in the Tasks table, but the are zero custom columns brought into my model. Neither does "Team" appear in the list of columns nor does the custom category name appear (as we are not actually labeling it "team").

And to confirm, I am looking at the query prior to the removal of other extranneous columns.

My source and navigation steps go as follows:

Source = OData.Feed("https:nameofsite.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectData/[en-us]", null, [Implementation="2.0"]),
Tasks_table = Source{[Name="Tasks",Signature="table"]}[Data],

Thanks again,

Dan

Hi @maibacher ,

Try this in the advanced editor:

Source = OData.Feed("https:nameofsite.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectData/[en-us]"), 
Tasks_table = Source{[Name="Tasks",Signature="table"]}[Data],

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq , I was able to determine that the field in the schedule, though custom, is local to the .pbix file. Only enterprise fields are available to the Power BI query when connected to Project Online. My next task is to build the new enterprise field in the schedule file, populate it, and republish.

I appreciate you looked into this!

Thanks again! I followed along your advice and swapped your variant for the source step, and although this still produced the schedule data table successfully, the columns available are no different from before. I'm very intrigued about the possibilities at the source step all the same.

Many thanks, I'd love to hear any further suggestions.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @maibacher ,

When connecting Power BI to Project and pulling back a project file the custom fields are listed in the list of available fields.  If Team Name is at task level, the field will appear inthe Tasks table.  Like this example, the first two fields I have are custom fields in the Tasks table.

collinq_0-1617724525204.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors