Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gwilliams
Frequent Visitor

Web API Pagination with List.Numbers not working in service with

I have created a report that uses a web api that has multiple pages. So, I used the following tutorial on getting the additional pages:

How to do Pagination on a REST API in Power Query (Part 1) 

Scenarios:

Power BI Desktop - it works and can return all of the data.

Power BI Service - When I publish I the following error:

Publishing is complete. However, we couldn't refresh your dataset.  Please manually refresh your dataset in the service or schedule refresh.  When you go to schedule refresh or dataset settings you get: "You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh. Data source for Query1 Discover Data Sources (link).   

I only get this when I start using the List.Numbers method to retrieve the additional pages and then get the json.document() portion of the Advanced Editor to use in a new column to get the additional pages.  

I have tried changing hte data source settings, by edit permissions to no avail  the data uses an x-api-key and a authorization header to authenticate so I am using anonymous for the credentials.  

My question is why does it work in desktop and not in service. And how do I get it to work in service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gwilliams,

It’s by design that most dynamic data sources cannot be refreshed in Power BI service. To determine whether your dynamic data source can be refreshed, open the Data Source Settings in Power BI Desktop, and then select the Web API data source. Then, you will see a warning message like the following screenshot which means such kind of data source can’t be refreshed in Power BI service.

vcazhengmsft_0-1652756606326.png

But there are exceptions exist, you could edit your query per the description.

vcazhengmsft_1-1652756606327.png

For more details, you could refer to Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know how your tables look like, the relationships you create for them and how you create these two count measures. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gwilliams,

It’s by design that most dynamic data sources cannot be refreshed in Power BI service. To determine whether your dynamic data source can be refreshed, open the Data Source Settings in Power BI Desktop, and then select the Web API data source. Then, you will see a warning message like the following screenshot which means such kind of data source can’t be refreshed in Power BI service.

vcazhengmsft_0-1652756606326.png

But there are exceptions exist, you could edit your query per the description.

vcazhengmsft_1-1652756606327.png

For more details, you could refer to Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know how your tables look like, the relationships you create for them and how you create these two count measures. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

I do not have that warning when selecting the Power Bi REST API datasource.

Has anyone suicessfully scheduled a refresh when referencing thge REST API?

I am using the Datasource: https://github.com/migueesc123/PowerBIRESTAPI

gwilliams
Frequent Visitor

Also this is most slowest and board I have ever posted on today!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors