Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MSMPekowski
Regular Visitor

We have 3 licenses, now how do I install Power BI Pro?

We have 3 licenses, now how do I install Power BI Pro?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MSMPekowski Power BI comes in two parts.

The Desktop = this is a free download for everyone and allows you to do ETL build models/reports

The Service = this is a Software as a Service offering. You can purchase a Pro license, but you don't download anything. You go to app.powerbi.com and log in.

If you already purchased the licenses for the specific "emails" - then you just log in to the Service. When you click on the Settings (Wheel icon) in the upper right you should see something like 0mb of 10GB used. If you see 10GB, you have a Pro license. Or you can click on that and it opens a page where it has your name and what license you have. You should see "Your Name" Pro User.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

I am interested in buying a pro license. How should I go about it?

@vanessahttps://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-purchasing-power-bi-pro/

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
JenM
Advocate II
Advocate II

Not having O365 means that you won't be able to collaborate using workgroups, but you should have all the other functionality. I have only used it as an add-on to O365, so I can't say for sure.

As Eno1978 says, there is nothing else to install (besides Desktop) - everything else is done at powerbi.com.

@MSMPekowski Depending on how you purchased. It sounds like you paid for the subscription and you would manage that in Office365 admin. This link outlines all the ways you can assign the license depending on your scenerio.

In addition, my scenario had us purchasing 3 licenses, but not recieveing the software to install. I've been to the link but it does not describe how to download and install Power BI Pro.

@MSMPekowski Power BI comes in two parts.

The Desktop = this is a free download for everyone and allows you to do ETL build models/reports

The Service = this is a Software as a Service offering. You can purchase a Pro license, but you don't download anything. You go to app.powerbi.com and log in.

If you already purchased the licenses for the specific "emails" - then you just log in to the Service. When you click on the Settings (Wheel icon) in the upper right you should see something like 0mb of 10GB used. If you see 10GB, you have a Pro license. Or you can click on that and it opens a page where it has your name and what license you have. You should see "Your Name" Pro User.

We do not use O365.

JenM
Advocate II
Advocate II

Install Desktop from this link, build some reports, publish & share.

The Pro license gives you more collaboration and more data refresh options.

We have desktop already, but want the additional features of Power BI Pro. How do I install Power BI pro?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors