Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visuals data in App not refreshing automatically even with scheduled refreshed enabled

Hi,

I have an Import type report connected to multiple REST APIs which I have published onto the PBI Service as an App. I have scheduled refreshes for the underlying dataset in the workspace, which is working fine.

The issue comes when I open the App, and the data shown has not been updated (even though the underlying dataset has been refreshed). I've noticed I had to manually click on "... > Refresh" in the top bar of the App for the data in the visuals to be updated. It's not the best user experience for the client to have to click on that manual obscure refresh button. 

I've also noticed that sometimes the visuals refresh fine, but other times it doesn't, getting a bit confused here. Is there a way for the visuals to always automatically refresh when the underlying dataset gets refreshed? Is there an issue with my cache settings? 

Many thanks,
Lionel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Yes,I agree with you,you just need to leave the gateway on,no need to keep the browser open,it should be a cache issue.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You're exactly right, this is an issue with your browser cache.

Regular Power BI reports will NOT automatically refresh their browser rendering.  They wait for user action (navigate to the page, refresh the page etc.) to re-render.

Dashboard tiles DO refresh automatically when the dataset is refreshed.

There's a new kid in town for Premium license and Direct Query connection - Automatic Report page refresh.  This is independent-ish of the dataset refresh, and pretty much just bluntly re-renders the page ever so often. Maybe worth considering switching your data source from import to direct query.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin Thanks for your reply. The issue i'm facing (and I can't seem to replicate it at will frustratingly), is that the report doesn't refresh even after i've navigated through the different pages back and forth - it only refreshes after I click the refresh button. I'm also using Incognito windows to view the report, wonder if that's messing things up? 

I'll keep that DQ function in mind for future projects, thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Have you checked the refresh status for scheduled?

Go to setting>datasets:

Annotation 2020-06-22 101454.png

Schedule refresh is a quene refresh,sometime it may be blocked waiting for the prior refreshes to be done.So check the status,if it shows failed,you will see what happens in the message box.If it shows success,it is just because that so many refreshes need to be done at the same time,and the refresh was lagged.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Hi Kelly, thanks for your reply. I have checked the refresh history and the dataset refresh itself is working fine. I believe it's likely to be a cache issue. The app was not updated this morning (even though the dataset was) even though I was on an incognito browser and went through the "building app" loading screen. Only a browser refresh/ "... >refresh" updated the visuals. However, I suspect it's because I left the incognito window open from the previous day. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Yes,I agree with you,you just need to leave the gateway on,no need to keep the browser open,it should be a cache issue.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors