Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Ananaqaco
Frequent Visitor

Visio in PowerBI

Hello, 

I have a dataset that includes source from SQL and Visio. When I upload it to server and try to refresh it, I have an error. It says to install personal gateway.  I have on premis gateway that is for SQL server. could anyone help me with this?

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ananaqaco ,

The error message you are seeing suggests that you need to install a personal gateway to refresh your dataset in Power BI.You mentioned that you already have an on-premises gateway that is for SQL server. However, it is possible that you need to install a personal gateway for your Visio data source.

Power BI personal gateway is a tool that enables users to refresh their on-premises data in Power BI. It connects to a variety of data sources and allows users to schedule automatic data to refresh in the Power BI service.

Use a personal gateway in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Power BI - Differences between Power BI personal Gateway and Data Management Gateway - GeeksforGeeks

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the answer, I have onpremis gateway for sql server, if I add personal gateway too the dataset won't get which gateway to use, I can't use both gateways for the same dataset. 

Hi @Ananaqaco ,

You need to install the personal gateway to refresh the dataset. The personal gateway is for Power BI only and can be used as an individual without any administrator configuration. You can install up to two On-premises data gateways on the same computer, one running in each mode (personal and standard)

A gateway must be installed and running for Power BI to connect to on-premises data sources and refresh the dataset.

Refresh datasets created from local Power BI Desktop files - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors