Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Maria1983
Advocate I
Advocate I

Virtual network data gateway suddently crashed - capacity license now a requirement?

Hello!

We have a Virtual Network Data Gatway set up in PowerBi to access data from Azure Blob Storage. 

This has worked wonderfully for a long time. But this morning the connection crashed and we can see that the Connection and Virtual Network Data Gateway are both offline. Why? 

When we try to create a new Virtual Network Data Gateway we are unable to do so, because it suddently requires a Capacity License (which we don't have - we have PowerBI Premium). We can see in the documentation that PowerBi Premium should be enough: 

Documentation.jpg

So is this an error? Why is chosing a capacity license suddenly a prerequisite? And is this the reason our connection is down? 

Capacity.png

Thank you very much in advance. 

Regards, 

Maria from Denmark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mhofmann

14 REPLIES 14
mhofmann

mhofmann_0-1708425688616.png

They have removed the awareness message now, and our services are once again up and running 🙂 

Through the problem remains when creating a new data gateway, but that's less important. 

Thank you everyone 🙂

Thanks man, i was beating my head for Europe West. This was working perfectly fine for EU north though. 

BenDuke
Frequent Visitor

Using PowerBI embedded with an activite capacity and the list is empty.

BenDuke_1-1708403908792.png

Do this- Create a fabric capacity in your azure subscription and then you will see a capacity in the drop down. The reason its empty because you arent administrating any license capacity. You can also talk to your power platform admin to get these gateways assigned a capacity if there is one exists at org level ( Fabric or premium) 

Thank you for the suggestion. 

One could create a Fabric Capacity just to make the gateway work again, but then you have to pay a minimum of 321,20 dollars a month. Surely this should not be necessary?

Maria1983_0-1708421339642.png

As of this Article, it is now mandatory, that you create a Fabric Capacity... Thanks to Microsoft...
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/vnet-data-gateway-for-fabric-and-power-bi-is-now-generally-...

By the way im currently running 8 gateways on single F2 SKU. 

I agree, im currently trying to find out who my power platform admin is to see if we have a capacity created for this specific purpose at org level. I didnt mean that every project has to create a private capacity for this. 

MS Support says that there are issues in Europe with the Gateways. You can find it here:
Microsoft Fabric Support and Status | Microsoft Fabric

rmenges_0-1708423853353.png

mhofmann

Same Problem here, need help!!

rmenges

Same problem here. Advice would be much appreciated. I also opened a support Ticket.

Thank you for having created a ticket. Any responses from the support team yet? 

nothing reasonable till now. Keep you updated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors