Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

VSTS error - Unable to update this data source's credentials. Unable to connect to the data source.

Hello,

Background: I used dekstop app to get datasource and got them all working, have it published online and have the refresh setting all done. It was working fine for a long time until few days ago.

Issue: I believe the refresh still working but I cannot change the refresh settings now as I get an error saying data source cant be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. 

I did try update it at the top right setting (gateway) https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/gateways and use OAuth2 to authenticate myself again but it didnt work... and I got this message <title>This operation is not supported for a relative URI.</title>.

Can someone help me please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @733 ,

This issue has been confirmed as a known issue internally. (ICM:307200975).
Users using Azure DevOps Server connector may experience issues connecting from desktop and also when refreshing the dataset in the service. It is currently suspected to be a server-side problem. 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Dave-ExpSC
Helper II
Helper II

I am having an issue very similar to this and it is now May 2024. PBIX works fine. It goes through the motion of Publish but it says it fails when you check in the Monitoring Hub. The Connection Status shows Offline. My On Premise data gateway (Personal Mode) show Status Online. I am unable to edit the credentials. Everything was working fine. Any suggestions? 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @733 ,

This issue has been confirmed as a known issue internally. (ICM:307200975).
Users using Azure DevOps Server connector may experience issues connecting from desktop and also when refreshing the dataset in the service. It is currently suspected to be a server-side problem. 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It is working fine now. 

thanks for all updates

SwatiAccenture
Frequent Visitor

Mine is still not working. Did you do anything ? post which it started working?

For my issue I didn't do anything that fixed it. It was broken last night and then I noticed some other users reporting the problem went away for them. I tried it on my dataset and it worked too. I'm trying to get in touch with the PowerBI team internally to let them know there is still a problem. I'm not sure how to reach them, but I will endeavor to find a contact.

Could it be regional? Mybe they have fixed it and rollout timeline is slightly different?

SwatiAccenture
Frequent Visitor

I am still facing the same issue. can anyone suggest the solution plz.

AllenD_MSFT
Employee
Employee

I'm seeing the same error myself. .pbix works fine with PowerBI desktop, but when trying to refresh the data after uploading the .pbix in PowerBI.com it fails because of credential issue. When I try to update credentials I get the "This operation is not supported for a relative URI" error. I've reported this over in the Azure DevOps community to see if there is a problem on their end. It could be a problem on PowerBI.com though. Since I'm internal, I'm happy to help get to the bottom of this if I can.

Thanks,

Allen Denver

Visual Studio for Mac

Hi @AllenD_MSFT 

I am still facing the same issue. 

.pbix file works fine but power bi online is giving error.

SwatiAccenture_0-1652964332194.png

Is there any resolution ?

Hi Allen,

I dont know what just happened... but it's fixed!
I think it must be you that has alerted the issue in Azure DevOps and they have fixed it. 

VSTS error is no longer there and I can schedule refresh on new reports... happy days! 😄

Thank you!!

Lee

Yeah, I think the problem was a recent change to AzDO which the team addressed last night. My PowerBI.com operations are now working fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors