Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Using AD Groups for App Viewing. Issues with nested groups

Hi,

I have just been chatting to someone who has a large group of report viewers of an App.

They had a security group (For example) Main Group

And then inside this main group they have nested groups with people in them

Say Sub Group 1

Sub Group 2

Sub Group 3

Etc (Its a really big group of users with many sub groups

What they noticed was that some groups would get access and some wouldnt. They went to Microsoft about it and didnt get a great response on what was happening.

So in the end they had to put all the Sub Groups in to view the app. I said that I need a few specifics on this because obviously this isnt much to go on but I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this issue with having AD Security sub  Groups nested within a main AD Security Group?

4 REPLIES 4
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

Here’s the ICM link:https://portal.microsofticm.com/imp/v3/incidents/details/235472447/home

But I think it’s an internal portal that needs some permission to access it.

The ICM refers to the existing bugs in the Power BI and the repair progress of these bugs.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No I dont think I can get to it. Could anyone let me know the description of this bug and where it is in the fix so I can let people know?

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

According to my research, it seems to be an existing issue in the Power BI. ICM: 235472447

What’s more, the Power BI App also has a limitation about this:

• You can have at most 100 users or groups in the access list for the app. However, you can give more than 100 users access to the app. To do so, use one or more user groups that contain all the desired users.
  •  

You can refer to this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps#considera...

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

Do you have an actual link for ICM: 235472447 so I can have a look at that in more detail? That would be really helpful for this certain user?  I don't know what ICM means?

It seems that the limitation conflicts with the issue (As in you can do it but there is an issue with it)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors