Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mariusvdk
Regular Visitor

Users with free licence cannot access reports build by me

Hi, I need some help with my client. They only have a Pro license for PowerBI. We've created a few workspaces on the PowerBI service but some of the users with free licenses cannot access these workspaces and reports. There are other users that have got free licences and they can access the reports and dashboards in the workspaces. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @mariusvdk 

If your client only has a Pro licence, then users with Free licences will not be able to view any reports shared with them. The other users with free licences have probably got a "Trial" Power BI Pro licence that is a free option for 60 days before reverting to a Free licence.

The licence rules are pretty simple,

Users with a Pro licence can view reports shared with them from a Pro workspace.

Users with a Premium Per User(PPU) licence can view reports shared with them on a Pro or PPU workspace.

Users with a Free, Pro or PPU licence can view reports shared with them on a Premium Capacity workspace

see Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Note that the Free licence only has access to reports shared with them on a Premium Capacity Workspace.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @mariusvdk 

If your client only has a Pro licence, then users with Free licences will not be able to view any reports shared with them. The other users with free licences have probably got a "Trial" Power BI Pro licence that is a free option for 60 days before reverting to a Free licence.

The licence rules are pretty simple,

Users with a Pro licence can view reports shared with them from a Pro workspace.

Users with a Premium Per User(PPU) licence can view reports shared with them on a Pro or PPU workspace.

Users with a Free, Pro or PPU licence can view reports shared with them on a Premium Capacity workspace

see Power BI service features by license type - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Note that the Free licence only has access to reports shared with them on a Premium Capacity Workspace.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hello. My client started having this same issue earlier in the month (June 2023).  A few people have PBI PPU Licenses, about 30 people are on Pro Licenses and everyone else has been on a free license.  THey say they have been able to disseminate and share reports to everyone "...for years..." but something changed this month where none of the free license users can no longer view the reports and are now getting a notice to obtain a Pro license. What changed recently as to enforce these rules so suddenly?

Hi, I have a user who has reverted to the free licences. However, he cannot access are port that has been deployed to a workspace with Premium capacity. What would cause the block such that he cannot invoke a report in a Premium workspace without getting the splash screen prompting to upgrade to a Pro account?

Hi @ginowms0405 

If it's a Premium Per User workspace then Free licences do not have access and they will get the prompt to upgrade to Pro. Only Premium Capacity backed workspaces allow Free user access.

Burningsuit_0-1656059464456.png

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Thank you. This explains the situation clearly. Will speak with the client about next steps.

Hi, Not sure. My client has not upgraded to Premium workspaces as yet so I cannot test to see. Sorry. 

thanks so much for the reply. I will revert back to client. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors