Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RoundedWheels
Employee
Employee

User data input in PowerBI service

Hi all,

I've got a PowerBI report that gets the data from a live connection to a cube (Get data -> SQL Server Analysys Services database -> Connect live) and also I publish the report through PowerBI Service so that other users can get access to them.

I need to get some data input from the user (a whole number) that I will use for later calculations in my DAX formulas. 

In PowerBI desktop this can be used using the "What if" mechanism, but it does not work in my case (once the live connection is established to the cube, PBI does not let me create any other table). I read in other thread that this might be done with "power apps form like a box". However, I've never used Powerapps. How can I start to do it that way? Is there any other alternative way to capture user data in a report like mine?

Thanks, Jesús

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. This is a great question I also had haha. I have found this sometime ago but couldn't try it yet. Connect you ssas with tabular editor and try creating the what if parameter:

https://tabulareditor.com/2019/03/14/PowerBITips-WhatIf.html

Hope that works.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi Ibarrau,

Thanks so much for the swift replay. I've been reading the idea you suggest and it seems it only works when data is imported from the database into de PBI file, but not when there is a live connection (which is my case).

It's hard to believe that there is not a mechanism to get data typed in by the user, but I'm getting convinced that unluckyly that's the case.

Thanks anyway for the idea!

Too bad to read that. I was pretty sure that making the change in the imported SSAS model instead of importing in power bi would work.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors