Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgraded to new workspace, got sharing problems using "Save a copy"

Hi guys,

I just upgraded all my workspaces from classic to the new one. I got troubles using "Save a copy" function.

1) Let's say I published a report to workspace A, then I save a copy to workspace B. Great, the report is in workspace B now. But the viewers in workspace B cannot see it because they do not have permissons!  I have to use "Manage permissions" to add those users to the dataset one by one! 

Since workspace B has quite a lot of users, adding them one by one to each report is a huge pain. Also, we already have RLS. What's the point of copying a report to another workspace but the viewers are not allowed to see it? How can I skip the "Manage permissions" step?

2) Another problem is you cannot replace the copyied report. Again, I published a report to workspace A, then I save a copy to workspace B. I modified the report in BI desktop and publish it. It shows "Replacing this dataset may impact 2 workspaces 2 reports" and I clicked "Replace". Report in workspace A is replaced but not the workspace B. Is it a bug? How can I solve it? 

Thanks for any advice!

3 REPLIES 3
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Here’s my opinion on your questions:

First question:

I think that you can just add an Office 365 group which is created with the classic workspace in "Manage permissions". What’s more, when you make a copy of your report to the other workspaces, it’s dataset connected to the report in live connection mode. As a result, I think the viewers just don’t have access to this report instead of the dataset. I suggest you add the Office 365 group to the new workspace with a viewer role.

Second question:

When you save a copy of a report, the report you saved is an independent report live connected to the original dataset. Therefore, when you replace the original report, the copied report won’t be replaced, but its dataset will change as the original dataset changes. It’s not a bug. I suggest you publish twice to workspace B if you want to.

More info about new workspace in Power BI

Add Office 365 groups as a member to app workspace

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. For second question, there are two problems with publishing twice. First, I will create another report instead of replacing it. Second, there would be two datasets in workspace A and B.

What I want is just publish / update a report to several workspace. Why that's seem very difficult in BI?

Hi, @Anonymous 

As I mentioned before, when you save a copy of a report to other workspaces, the data it displays is live connected to the original dataset, you can not even see the dataset in the target workspace, like this:

v-robertq-msft_0-1605606856731.png

In my opinion, publish your reports to your expected workspaces (once in a time), then you can update a report to several workspaces, which is not very difficult.

v-robertq-msft_1-1605606856735.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors