Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update Error - Memory Allocation Failure

The error message read:

Ошибка в источнике данных: Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.
URI кластера: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-B-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Идентификатор действия: aad5fe94-a265-42cd-9952-7e0ded45767b
Идентификатор запроса: af974be6-35a3-c5cc-4e29-87b19cc1688f
Время: 2020-11-06 07:06:06Z

The data model works fine on PBI Desktop. No errors whatsoever. The file itself is not that heavy - 116 megs. Measures - about a 100 +/-.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Robert, thank you!

1. The dataset is highly optimized, i.e. its completely ID-DATA sets based. I've omitted all the garbage details like Sales Order No, Receipt, etc. Probably it falters due to some complex measures. Is there any way to see at what causes that error - table, dataset, measure? Shuffling thorough the whole dataset is rather time consuming.

2. Going from Pro to Premium is beyond my budget atm.

3. Refresh is scheduled for UTC +3 hours. Other refreshes are set apart, i.e. I don't have two or more data sets refreshing at the same moment. Speaking of " ensure sufficient memory space" did you mean memory allocated by BI servers or by my PC? 

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to your description, you said that the dataset is 116MB, which is small enough for Power BI to refresh successfully in normal conditions. Complex measures won't affect the refresh efficiency, because they aren't stored as data in datasets. The reason I think of is the gateway problems. Does your gateway run on the same computer? Can you guarantee the stability of the network and sufficient computer memory on the gateway computer? They are also very important. 

According to how to find out which table can cause that error, I think you can use as less calculated columns and calculated tables as you can. They may lead to massive consumption of resources in Power BI service.

The above are all the reasons I can think of, thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your gateway run on the same computer? 

The Gateway runs on my personal PC (32Gb RAM/ RYZEN 9 16 core/ 1Gb LAN), data is stored on network drive. PC and network is on 24/7.

As for Dataset. 40+ queries through PowerQuery (only xlsx, csv and txt). There are two calculated tables - Dates (1000+ rows & 10 columns)  and Hierarchy structure (less than 100 rows). Measures do all the grunt work. 

Guess will have to do step by step error exclusion 😞

Thx!

Hi, @Anonymous 

The Power BI Premium per user has been available till now, you can try to start a trial for free and open the premium capacity for your workspace, like this:

v-robertq-msft_0-1614822057456.png

Then I guess the memory allocation problem may be solved under the premium capacity(dedicated resources and larger RAM).

More info about how to start PPU in Power BI

What’s more, the incremental refresh in Power BI can also be a good choice to avoid memory problems, which is available to Pro users. You can try if it’s possible

More info about incremental refresh in Power BI

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Robert

I'm trying PPU ATM.

Probably I'm doing smth wrong, but I can't change settings for My workspace. 

bpn1973_0-1614843942093.png

Will read more on PPU and incremental refresh.

BTW so far can't see any benefits from PPU. Guess I'm missing smth.

Thank you.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You should keep in mind that datasets stored in pbix files are highly compressed. When it’s refreshing in Power BI service, I think I will occupy more memory space, which can possibly lead to this error.

Therefore, I suggest you take measures against the dataset which causes this problem. You can try these measures:

1. Go to the power query editor in Power BI desktop, delete the useless columns. Then publish it to service to replace the original one.
  2. Upgrade your workspace to Premium Capacity, which supports the bigger size of dataset refreshing.
  3. Stagger the refresh time, try to refresh large datasets in free time, which can ensure sufficient memory space, and higher refresh efficiency.

For more information about this error:

How to optimize report performance on power bi service

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors