Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding sync of changes between Service and Desktop

Hi guys,

I couldn't find any information about this in the docs so here it goes:

Are changes made to a report in the PBI Service (Web Version) synced back in any way to the original pbix file (which resides on a sharepoint)?

Example scenario:

1. I create a report/dataset in PBI Desktop and save it on a sharepoint 
  2. I load the report/dataset from the Web UI into PBI Service 
  3. My collegaue authors changes on this report (adding a new visual for example) in PBI Service

Do I see this changes if I open the PBI file? And what happen if I reupload my report/dataset - will I override the changes of my colleague? 

Thanks for your insight or best practices how to handle this situation.

Best regards
lucas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

After you publish a report to the Service, anything on the Service does NOT come back automatically to the PBI Desktop file.  

It is possible that if somebody has the right permissions that they download the file to their desktop, make changes and then overwrite your file by publishing it again.  This can happen in a shared workspace, based on permissions.  This is not a common thing but can happen.

As for the new visual - if they have save a copy/version of the dashboard for themselves, then it will stay for sure.  If they have permissions to modify the shared visual, then it should stay as well.  There are now permissions where the other user can use the data to create totally different and new visuals that remain.  Again, this is based on permissions as to WHAT they can do and whether or not they make copies or are using the "original" version.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

After you publish a report to the Service, anything on the Service does NOT come back automatically to the PBI Desktop file.  

It is possible that if somebody has the right permissions that they download the file to their desktop, make changes and then overwrite your file by publishing it again.  This can happen in a shared workspace, based on permissions.  This is not a common thing but can happen.

As for the new visual - if they have save a copy/version of the dashboard for themselves, then it will stay for sure.  If they have permissions to modify the shared visual, then it should stay as well.  There are now permissions where the other user can use the data to create totally different and new visuals that remain.  Again, this is based on permissions as to WHAT they can do and whether or not they make copies or are using the "original" version.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @collinq

How about the other way round? 

I am editing a file in Power BI Desktop which has, as datasource, a spreadhseet in Excel stored in a SharePoint. When changes are made to the spreadhseet and I refresh in Desktop those changes are applied. However, they are not automatically applied to Service. In order for those changes to appear I need to re-publish the PBi which I believe is basically an overwrite of what exists already. 

Is there any way of publishing automatically or making sure that when refresh is amde in Service it actually picks up the necessary changes?

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

The data source change (in this case Sharepoint document) is reflected in the Desktop and/or the Service whenever it is refreshed.  You do NOT have  to open Desktop and refresh it and publish it every time since you can have the Service automatically refresh on a schedule.  As @Anonymous states, you can set up the gateway or the refresh based upon the type of SharePoint that you are using.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

That is possible and quite easy to configure. But first you need to check what kind of Sharepoint you're using: Is it on-premise or in the cloud (e.g. Teams)?

If the Sharepoint is cloud-based you can set a scheduled refresh for the dataset in the Power BI Service with a few clicks. Have a look at the documentation for more info : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh#scheduled-refresh

However if you're using an on-premise Sharepoint than you will need a Gateway to connect the cloud-based Power Bi Service to your on-premise Sharepoint. This kind of central enterprise gateway is usually maintained by the IT department so you'll have to check with them.

Best regards.
Lucas

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors