Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

david_busint
Frequent Visitor

Unable to test row level security in Power BI Service - Permission Required

Hi all,

I've recently begun to have issues with reports with RLS not letting me 'Test as role'. It used to work fine but all of a sudden I've started to get this 'Permission required' message coming up. I'm a workspace admin, the dataset owner, a pro user, and have access to the app for these reports so there is no reason why Power BI Service has suddenly decided I no longer have permissions for the underlying dataset. Once I close that error window I just get the fabric load icon with the progress bar stuck at around 30% and none of the links on the page work when clicked. I have to reload the page to do anything. 

I deleted and republished one of the reports earlier in the week and it let me 'Test as roles' again only for the 'Permission required' message to start appearing this afternoon when I've attempted to 'Test as role'. I've even tried adding myself again on the dataset Manage Permissions page to no effect. This is affecting several reports which sit in their own workspaces but not all of them for some reason. 

I'd prefer to not have to delete and republish reports on a weekly basis in order to be able to test row level security is working as expected in Power BI service. Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution? I've checked the 'Get Help' guidance and none of that helps. 

Permission.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Domantas_G
Regular Visitor

I managed to resolve it by publishing additional test report (live connected to the same data model with RLS that I want to test in the first place) to the same workspace and that fixed the issue for some reason. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Domantas_G
Regular Visitor

I managed to resolve it by publishing additional test report (live connected to the same data model with RLS that I want to test in the first place) to the same workspace and that fixed the issue for some reason. 

It worked thank you!

Absolutely nonsensical but I'll take it 🙂

I'll give a that a go and see what happens 👍

RichieRichAzj
Regular Visitor

I'm also having this issue. But not on all rls datasets. Works in other workspaces. I had synced this workspace with GIT, took that off, but no change. I have workspace admin, so all permissions. The service seems to lock up afterwards too. If you refresh the browser, it comes up with the RLS "View As" menu, with a blank page below.

Domantas_G
Regular Visitor

I started having exactly the same issue. Any findings what is the reson or how to fix it?

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

hi @david_busint 

Got a related community post

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Cannot-see-the-content-of-this-report-because-you-...

This is not a solved one but there are a few suggestions there to  try

Regards,

Ritesh

Hi Ritesh,

Unfortunately that doesn't help.

I've got all the possible access rights I could have and created these workspaces. I presume it's a bug with Power BI itself since no changes have been made to the report but it suddenly stopped letting me test roles. 

Kind Regards,

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors