Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpc_development
Helper III
Helper III

Unable to see Power BI workspaces or publish using non-organisation Microsoft email

I am consulting for a company and instead of creating an @theirorganisation.com email address for me, they added my personal email address as a Microsoft account on their organisation.

When I connect and have to perform 2fa in a browser, the Microsoft Authenticator app shows the following email address. Suppose my personal email is myname@mycompany.com, it shows myname_mycompany.com#EXT#@myclientcloud.onmicrosoft.com.

If I use my personal email address to log into the workspace, I am able to see their workspace, if I use the workspace link directly, but I am unable to see it in Power BI Desktop. I am also able to manually upload and publish a Power BI file to their workspace.

Does anyone have any idea how I can see the workspace in Power BI desktop? I even tried logging in with the weird onmicrosoft.com email address, but it says my password is wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @dpc_development ,

at the current moment Power BI Desktop does not allow you to connect to a tenant that is different from the domain of the email address you are using.

You need an account that looks like yourname@theircompany.somewhere.

The fancy email address that is displayed if you are connecting to the Power BI Service indicates that the administrators have added you as a guest user to their Azure AD, unfortunately, this is not sufficient for what you are trying to achieve. You can't use the fancy address from inside Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @dpc_development ,

at the current moment Power BI Desktop does not allow you to connect to a tenant that is different from the domain of the email address you are using.

You need an account that looks like yourname@theircompany.somewhere.

The fancy email address that is displayed if you are connecting to the Power BI Service indicates that the administrators have added you as a guest user to their Azure AD, unfortunately, this is not sufficient for what you are trying to achieve. You can't use the fancy address from inside Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors