Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Isabel73
Regular Visitor

Unable to refresh Dataset in Power BI service

Hi All, 

I've developed a new BI Dashboard and published to workspace, it works well when I refresh the dataset in Power BI Desktop but it's failed to refresh it in service with following error message:

It has failed to refresh.

Failure details: The specified package is not valid.

I got another Dashboard with schedule refresh which works well. Checked that the setting is the same and not sure what's the difference. 

Any idea what is the potential cause for such error message? 

6 REPLIES 6
Isabel73
Regular Visitor

Hi @collinq.,

Thanks for sharing all of those useful information. 
I've re-checked the data source files once again and finally figured out the issues. There's one of the table that I'm currently using with a space as the sheet name. After updating the query to get data from the table directly instead of sheet, the data refresh works out properly.   

Migasuke
Super User
Super User

Hi @Isabel73 ,

Please check following solution:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Data-Refresh-Error-The-specified-package-is-invalid-The-mai...

Hope it helps!

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Hi @Migasuke,

Thanks for sharing, I checked the comments in the thread previously but it doesn't work for me.

Hi @Isabel73 ,

If the resolution that @Migasuke suggested wasn't quite right, is that becuase you are not using Excel as a data source?  What is the data source that you are using?  And, are you using a Gateway?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq ,

I'm using several excel files as data source. Those excel files were saved as xlsx format and stored in my One Drive.

I'm using Gateway for connections, but it's the same MS account which I logged in for both Power BI service and One Drive. 

Thanks in advance for looking into the question. 

Hi @Isabel73 ,

With Excel, there are many ways to connect.  Review this article, Get data from Excel workbook files - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

This is the link for using OneDrive: Use OneDrive for work or school links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And, this is how I normally do it (getting the path from the file itself): Connect To OneDrive Excel File From Power BI Desktop (c-sharpcorner.com)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors