Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

vladsadovski
Frequent Visitor

Unable to install On-premises data gateway to Docker Container

Hi,

I'm trying to install On-premises data gateway to a Docker container using Powershell as mentioned in https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Gateway-Automation-using-PowerShell-Part-1/ba-p...

The container is built based on Windows image mcr.microsoft.com/windows:10.0.17763.973.

When running Install-DataGateway step, it writes "Starting to install data gateway on server." and then waits forever, with no other output.

I successfully installed the gateway on my laptop using the same commands.

Is it possible to fix the issue or at least identify the root cause?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
mafis-hh

Hello @vladsadovski,

I tried the same, to create a docker image with a Windows Container, which should host a PowerBI Data Gateway.

I receive the same problems, the installation just stops or freezes forever. On a normal Azure VM it runs without problems.

On the official Data Gateway documentation it says that that it is not supportet:

On "Related considerations" it is written that Gateways aren't supported on
a) Windows Server Core installations
b) Windows Containers

I opened a github issue here https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/data-integration/issues/217

Maybe we can get further with this.
If someone at least would make transparent what exactly is mising in Windows Containers or the Server Core images we can test if we can install it on the Docker Container.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vladsadovski ,

Not very clear. There are some limitations mentioned on the blog, have you checked it? 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-jayw-msft,

I believe I did meet the limits, e.g. using Powershell 7, running it under user manager\containeradministrator account. It does work on my actual laptop, but still waits when running within the container.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors