Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kasiao
Frequent Visitor

Unable to change gateway connection from on-premises to Personal (apply button is greyed out)

Hi,

Power BI Pro user. I have a number of reports that rely on data sources that cannot be connected to the on-premises gateway and between myself and my collecague we use the personal gateway to reload the datasets on a schedule.

My colleague is off this week and I need to take over his datasets and connect them to my personal gateway, but the apply button is greyed out and I can't go ahead and do it - see below.

apply greyed out.PNG

What I can do is click the on-prem gateway radio button and map my data sources, at which point the apply button becomes green. I then change my gateway selection and proceed to select the personal gateway instead, hit Apply and save changes. However the gateway appears  to default to on-prem and my choice of personal gateway doesn't save. I have this issue with every dataset I need to take over from my collague. I have been reloading the reports in desktop and publishing them instead, as a workaround but it takes a lot of my time as some datasets are scheduled to reload every couple of hours. 

I appreciate your help, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have the personal gateway installed on my maschine up and running and I found a workaround to my problem. I publish a copy of the dataset into the workspace, I then hit the refresh icon to the right of the dataset name - the reload fails but what happens is the personal gateway is selected (I guess this is happening because it is listed first on the list of gateways), I then go into the settings to edit the credentials for my data souces and schedule a number of reloads during the day. The dataset is now going to reload via the personal gateway.

apply greyed out2.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kasiao ,

The on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can run only as an application, so it needs user to be logged.
2. When you install gateway in personal mode, you can use it yourself only
3. You can connect it to local data sources such as SQL Server, Excel, and other data sources. However, the gateway installed as personal mode only supports one type of connection: Import data or schedule refresh (We will talk about these types of connections in very next few posts). Personal gateway is only used for Power BI, you cannot use it for other applications.

vpollymsft_0-1672824835212.png

Use personal gateways in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have the personal gateway installed on my maschine up and running and I found a workaround to my problem. I publish a copy of the dataset into the workspace, I then hit the refresh icon to the right of the dataset name - the reload fails but what happens is the personal gateway is selected (I guess this is happening because it is listed first on the list of gateways), I then go into the settings to edit the credentials for my data souces and schedule a number of reloads during the day. The dataset is now going to reload via the personal gateway.

apply greyed out2.PNG

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kasiao ,

The link between your dataset and the data source in the gateway is based on your server name and database name. These names must match. For example, if you supply an IP address for the server name, in Power BI Desktop, you must use the IP address for the data source in the gateway configuration. If you use SERVER\INSTANCE in Power BI Desktop, you must use the same in the data source configured for the gateway.

If you're listed in the Users tab of the data source configured in the gateway, and the server and database name match, you see the gateway as an option to use with scheduled refresh.

If your dataset contains multiple data sources, each data source must be added in the gateway. If one or more data sources aren't added to the gateway, you won't see the gateway as available for scheduled refresh.

More details: Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Solved: Moving from personal gateway to the enterprise gat... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response but my issue is with not being able to save the gateway selection on personal gateway, rather than with the data sources. I want my dataset to reload using the personal gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors