Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nhch
Frequent Visitor

Template - Rest API with token in parameter

Hi guys,

I'm creating a Template report so that users can connect to their data. 
As a source i'm using some rest APIs not managed by me that needs a token in the header in order to operate.
Before creating the template app i deployed the report in my personal workspace and it works online too (also the refresh works).
Here's a little snippet of the M code i use to get the data (in PowerBI Desktop this works):

let
    Source = Json.Document(
        Web.Contents(
            "https://api.test.com/",
            [
                Headers=[Authorization=parToken]
            ]
        )
    )

When installing the app the user must specify the parameter so that powerquery can make the API calls.
The issue is that in order to check if the connection works after the user inserts the parameter PowerBI checks the connection to the API (https://api.test.com/) but without passing the Header (in which the token is).

nhch_0-1713521866500.png

Do you have any clue on how to avoid this?
It would be sufficent to not check if the connection works.

Thank you!
Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nhch ,

I have some suggestions for you:

Consider creating a custom connector for your REST API. Custom connectors allow you to define specific authentication methods, including passing headers.

Below is the post will help you:

Solved: How to specify HTTP request header parameter in Po... - Microsoft Fabric Community

It provides step-by-step instructions to set up the connector with the necessary headers.

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so so much, i developed my custom connector by following your link and it works like a charm! 

nhch
Frequent Visitor

@v-xiandat-msft 

Update: 
It works just in PowerBI Desktop.
In order to use it online i must have a PowerBI Gateway but, as specified in the post, I'm connecting to some exposed web REST APIs in order to get the data, so i don't have access to that system. 
Furthermore, i'm creating a template in order to create an App, so i need that everyone could see their data. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors