Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MarkVandenbergh
Regular Visitor

Table not fully refreshing - OData Feed

Hi, So I have a report that is set for scheduled refresh and it refreshes no problem at all. However, even though certain table(s) have refreshed, they are missing data. In this example it is for a group of schools and I get their attendance data via an OData feed. The report is set up to show their attendance, but sometimes after a refresh, a schoolat random will be missing their data. If I force a refresh again all might appear, or another school (or 2) will be missing. Is there an obvious reason for this, anything I should be cehcking? I do have a few tables which refresh as part of the OData feed - no issue with the otehrs from what I can tell, as well as a couple of local files linked to the report and they refresh fine. Any help appreciated as I am hitting a brick wall!

Thanks

Mark 

1 REPLY 1
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

The issue you're experiencing with missing data after a scheduled refresh in Power BI can be caused by various factors. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the problem:

1. Data Source Issues:

• Check if there are any issues with the OData feed itself. Sometimes, the source system may not provide complete or up-to-date data.
    • Ensure that there are no changes in the OData service's URL or authentication credentials that might be affecting the data retrieval.
  2. Refresh Order:

• In Power BI, data tables are refreshed in a specific order. Make sure that the dependent tables are being refreshed before the table(s) with missing data. You can set the refresh order in the Power Query Editor by using the "Manage Queries" option.
  3. Dependency Chain:

• Check if there are any dependencies between tables in your data model. If one table depends on another, ensure that the parent table is refreshed before the child table.
    • Verify that relationships between tables are correctly defined in the data model.
  4. Query Folding:

• OData sources may support query folding, which means some operations are pushed back to the data source for processing. Check if query folding is enabled, as it can affect data retrieval and filtering.
  5. Data Load Settings:

• Review the data load settings for the tables experiencing missing data. Ensure that the "Load" option is set to "Enabled" and not "Load Disabled" or "Load but do not display."
  6. Data Transformation Steps:

• Examine the data transformation steps applied in Power Query. Make sure that there are no filtering or transformation steps that unintentionally remove data.
  7. Error Handling:

• Check if there are any error messages in the refresh history. Power BI provides detailed error messages that can help identify the root cause of missing data.
  8. Data Source Permissions:

• Ensure that the user account or service account used for refreshing the data has appropriate permissions to access the OData feed and retrieve the required data.
  9. Scheduled Refresh Settings:

• Review your scheduled refresh settings in Power BI Service. Ensure that the refresh frequency and time zone settings are configured correctly.
  10. Logging and Monitoring:

• Implement logging and monitoring to track the refresh process. Power BI Service provides options for setting up email notifications and alerts for refresh failures.
  11. Data Source Versioning:

• Check if the OData feed provider has made any changes to the data structure or schema. Changes in the source can lead to missing data.
  12. Incremental Refresh:

• Consider implementing incremental refresh if your data volume allows it. This can reduce the time and resources required for refresh and minimize the chances of missing data.

By carefully reviewing these aspects, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue of missing data during scheduled refreshes in Power BI. If the problem persists, you may want to engage with Power BI support or your data source provider for further assistance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors