Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rickymcmaster
Regular Visitor

Swap semantic model in Power BI Service

Hi, I created a report directly in the service based on a semantic model in another workspace, and now I'd like to change the source to a semantic model in the same workspace as the report. However, I cannot find a way of doing this...

Of course it would also be theoretically possible to solve the issue by being able to download the report as a .pbix file, if they were in the same workspace, but I cannot due to the limitations

I saved a copy of the report to the original workspace where the original semantic model was in the hope that I could download it from there, but this was also not successful:

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 12.24.20.png

Is there something obvious I've missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rickymcmaster 

There are any option that I can think of is to use git integration and get. the PBIX file into source control and doing it that way you would get the data set and the report. What you could then do is get the pbip file and open that in Power BI desktop which will allow you to then get the report.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nrichards_au
Frequent Visitor

I had this same problem.

Assuming your semantic models have near identical structures with all measures the same etc. 

good old select all, copy & paste between the downloaded version and the new version connecting to the semantic model I needed to use.

Another avenue that may work for you if it's identical schemas is downloading both the report from the relevant workspaces, rename of extension from <.pbix> to <.zip> and using notepad++ or some other pure text editor to copy and paste the data from the Connections file into the other and see if you have any joy

elunasa01

Hi, you can swap semantic model by clicking in Data source settings (Home bar -> Transform data). Choose your semantic model and wait a few seconds. You will see the change at the bottom of the page. 

elunasa01_0-1713426811526.png

I hope it helps you!

You're missing the point. 
In the Desktop you can do that. But the point is that we made a report online (in the Service) that is not downloadable because of a scrazy limitation (report was build on a dataset in another workspace).
So if not downloadable -> no pbix file, if no pbix file -> no Desktop functionality.

cdc71
Regular Visitor

This is indeed crazy.

So you want, in a corporate environment, one semantic model in workspace hidden for end users, and have them access it via the Onelake data hub.

And then explain them to never use the service to create reports because of this limitation.

????

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rickymcmaster 

There are any option that I can think of is to use git integration and get. the PBIX file into source control and doing it that way you would get the data set and the report. What you could then do is get the pbip file and open that in Power BI desktop which will allow you to then get the report.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @rickymcmaster 

The only workaround is to download the reports and then open it up in Power BI desktop and connect it to the new source.

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ , I edited my question to make it a bit clearer.  The original report was based on a semantic model in another workspace.  When I created it I (obviously) did not realise this was a limitation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors