Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KevinSGoff
Helper I
Helper I

Simple question about making PBIX reports available in the cloud for domain users

Our company has Power BI Premium.   I'm one of the developers and I have a PBI Pro License.

I'm able to create PBIX reports and push them up to the cloud service in a particular workspace.

I've given all of our domain users the ability to view the contents of the workspace (under workspace access, I set permissions to "viewer").

Here's my question:  do those domain users need to have any kind of PBI license?

Reason for asking, when they attempt to view the report, some are getting a prompt to do a 60-day PBI trial.

I would have thought that since I gave them viewer access (and they are domain users), that would be enough.  

Now, they are trying to view the report via a URL I got from the service, which is basically the following:

https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed?reportId=<reportid>&autoAuth=true&ctid=<another key> &config=<another key>

I got that URL by taking the option to securely embed the report in a website or portal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @KevinSGoff 

You would need to ask your Office 365 Admin to configure the Power BI Free license to all the users.

Currently that is how it needs to be done.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KevinSGoff 

You have almost got it setup, the final step is that you need to assign a Power BI Free license to those users.

Currently the users do not have any license assigned and that is why it is asking for the trial.

Power BI Blog

Thanks for responding.  OK, I feel a bit silly for asking....while I don't expect that EVERY single domain user will want to be able to view the PBI reports we put up in a general viewing Workspace.....it seems a little strange to have to setup a free PBI license, especially since we have PBI Premium in our organization.  I'm hopefully we can do that without having to get users involved.     Thanks

Hi @KevinSGoff 

You would need to ask your Office 365 Admin to configure the Power BI Free license to all the users.

Currently that is how it needs to be done.

Power BI Blog

Ah, that sounds better....thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors