Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jgarden6
Frequent Visitor

Sharing using "embe" versus web

After I use publish in Power BI desktop I then go to Power BI.com and use "Share". One options listet is  "Embed".  The next sub-options are "Website or portal"  or "Publish to web (public)".  Each option gives you option to copy a link of copy a link for a website.  I'm confued what the difference is and also does the user(s) that get these links, do they have to have a  power bi pro license?  I want to publish a report and put it on my website for selected users can use it but I don't want them to have to purchase a license.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Publish to the Web - is the one that you can use to post data that anyone can see. This creates a link that is discoverable by anyone. So, while great for public facing content, it is not good for anything you need to keep secure. It does not require a license from anyone that views the link.
The other embed options will require all users to have a license as it looks like there is this newer option to get embedded plugged in easy. It still requires sharing, login.
If you want to embed in your application and have the application contral access to the report, you need to take a completely different route and that will require an embedded license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Publish to the Web - is the one that you can use to post data that anyone can see. This creates a link that is discoverable by anyone. So, while great for public facing content, it is not good for anything you need to keep secure. It does not require a license from anyone that views the link.
The other embed options will require all users to have a license as it looks like there is this newer option to get embedded plugged in easy. It still requires sharing, login.
If you want to embed in your application and have the application contral access to the report, you need to take a completely different route and that will require an embedded license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors