Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JSutton

Sharing Power BI reports to intenral & external users with no Power BI licence

Hi,

I am a Power BI user with a Pro licence and have created a number of Power BI reports which are published to a premium workspace. I have embedded these reports both to Sharepoint sites and MS Teams sites which both internal and external users have access to. I would like both internal and external users (without PBI licences) to have access to these PBI reports but when they click on the reports to view it they are either automatically opted into a 60 day trial of PBI or are told they have to upgrade their licence to a PBI Pro licence. Can anyone advise what I need to do to allow these users to access these reports without everyone having to have a PBI Pro licence?

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JSutton 

With sharing, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license. Your recipients also need Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) licenses, unless the content is in a Premium capacity.

As you mentioned, you publish your reports to premium workspaces, so your visitors will also need at least a Free license.

If you don't want your users to use the Free license either, you can try publishing to the web.However, when you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or visual. This method is not safe.

Publish to Web: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JSutton 

Everyone needs a licence to access shared reports on Power BI. If those reports are on a Premium Capacity workspace these can be a Free licence, but they all need a licence.

You'll need to assign Free licences to any user that wants to consume content on a Premium Capacity workspace. One of the reasons for this is that they then have a Power BI logon ID, which can be used in Row Level Security to only show them data they're allowed to access. 

There is an Admin setting "Allow users to try Power BI paid features" which admin can turn off which will stop users getting "trial licence" offers and messages.

hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors