Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

XandusMika

Sharing Dataset with filter

Hey everybody,

is there a possibility or workaround to share filtered datasets with my colleagues?

E.g. the same as you can limit reports with RLS, so the other persons cannot see data from other departments.

I want to share datasets and my data model but without leaking data from other departments.

Only possible way i see right now, is exporting every table by hand with the correct filter..
I hope there is a similar option as with RLS.

I am using PowerBI Desktop / Pro.

Greetings

Mika

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @XandusMika 

Thanks for your quick response!

According to your description, for how to configure the rls and realize it in Power Bi Service , you can refer to :

How to Implement Row Level Security (RLS) in Power BI (edureka.co)

The steps is like this:

RLS configuration in Power BI Desktop -> upload to workspace -> configure the "Security" for the dataset -> share the report or add the Viewer in this workspace.

For share the RLS dataset's report is like the same as the ordinary report.

(1) You can set this user as the "Viewer" of the workspace. Then this user can only see the corresponding report in the workspace, but not the dataset.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1691113768951.png

For this , you can refer to and the "Viewer" will be affected the RLS who can just see the filtered data:

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

(2)We can also share the report to other people if we do not want to set them as the "Viewer" of the workspace.

We can click the "Share" button between the report and share the special people you want to :

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1691113802001.pngvyueyunzhmsft_2-1691113811738.png

And this sharing method can also affect by the RLS , the people who have the report read permission can just see the filtered data .

And you can also share the direct access for the report :

vyueyunzhmsft_3-1691113832986.pngvyueyunzhmsft_4-1691113841264.png

And for the two methods to share the report , you can also refer to the document:

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Finally, if you have read permission on report, you must have read permission on the corresponding dataset, so users can see the corresponding dataset in "OneLake Datahub". But don't worry about this, as long as you configure the corresponding RLS configuration and configure the corresponding roles of the user in the security of the dataset, then everywhere, this user can only see the data that he has permission to access.

For this , you can also refer to :

Discover Fabric content in the OneLake data hub - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @XandusMika 

According to your description,you want to share datasets containing different data with different users. Currently, only RLS can meet your needs in Power BI.

When we configure RLS for the Dataset, users who do not have edit permissions will be affected by RLS, and will only see the data that they have permission after sharing. (admin, contributor, and member in the workspace will not be affected by RLS).
As you said, you can achieve your needs by manually exporting data and sharing it with users, but if you do not configure RLS to share directly, then this user can see all the data in the dataset.

Hey Aniya Zhang,
thanks for the reply.
The information was helpful, if you can help me with one step:
How do I share datasets in a work area?

If i understood correctly => RLS configuration => upload in work area => adding user (not as member, admin, contributor) => Problem: user can only see report and not dataset

Best Regards
Mika

Hi , @XandusMika 

Thanks for your quick response!

According to your description, for how to configure the rls and realize it in Power Bi Service , you can refer to :

How to Implement Row Level Security (RLS) in Power BI (edureka.co)

The steps is like this:

RLS configuration in Power BI Desktop -> upload to workspace -> configure the "Security" for the dataset -> share the report or add the Viewer in this workspace.

For share the RLS dataset's report is like the same as the ordinary report.

(1) You can set this user as the "Viewer" of the workspace. Then this user can only see the corresponding report in the workspace, but not the dataset.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1691113768951.png

For this , you can refer to and the "Viewer" will be affected the RLS who can just see the filtered data:

Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

(2)We can also share the report to other people if we do not want to set them as the "Viewer" of the workspace.

We can click the "Share" button between the report and share the special people you want to :

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1691113802001.pngvyueyunzhmsft_2-1691113811738.png

And this sharing method can also affect by the RLS , the people who have the report read permission can just see the filtered data .

And you can also share the direct access for the report :

vyueyunzhmsft_3-1691113832986.pngvyueyunzhmsft_4-1691113841264.png

And for the two methods to share the report , you can also refer to the document:

Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Finally, if you have read permission on report, you must have read permission on the corresponding dataset, so users can see the corresponding dataset in "OneLake Datahub". But don't worry about this, as long as you configure the corresponding RLS configuration and configure the corresponding roles of the user in the security of the dataset, then everywhere, this user can only see the data that he has permission to access.

For this , you can also refer to :

Discover Fabric content in the OneLake data hub - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors