Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbi_jenhen
Resolver II
Resolver II

Shared Dataset Permissions

Hi,

We are rolling out shared datasets within our organisation. We have premium capacity. All our workspaces are created via the new workspace experience. Workspace 1 contains the dataset and Workspace 2 contains the report. We have published Workspace 2 as a Workspace App in order to share the report to multiple users via AD groups. Our app users are receiving the below error:

"Permission required: you cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset. Please contact the dataset owner to request access".

Am I right in saying that each app user requires "Build" permissions on the shared dataset within Workspace 1 via dataset/manage permissions? I thought with them having read permissions on the app this would be given automatically? This can become a maintenance nightmare having to manually sync the app permissions with the dataset permissions. Please tell me this isn't true? If it isn't true, why else are my users receiving this error?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @powerbi_jenhen 

Your assumption is correct.

Each user who needs to build and access reports in another App workspace will need the build permissions. I would then add the AD Security group to the dataset with the build permissions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
matDutch
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem, but giving the users 'viewer' role with build rights doesn't work. 

The users needs to have the 'contributer' role in order to see the data. how did you fix this?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @powerbi_jenhen 

Your assumption is correct.

Each user who needs to build and access reports in another App workspace will need the build permissions. I would then add the AD Security group to the dataset with the build permissions.

Power BI Blog

Let's say these workspaces are operating with a Premium Capacity,

Wouldn't adding the contributor role restrict the report to only be viewed by Pro license users?

How are you supposed to allow Free license users to view content from a shared dataset within Premium Capacity workspaces? I hope that I am misunderstanding but from your replies I have read, my understanding is that Free license users cannot access reports with shared datasets.

All the free users would have to access the shared datasets that are in a Premium App workspace.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors