Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GeronimoData
Frequent Visitor

Share report built on dataset from another tenant.

Hello experts, 

I have built a model on a dataset from our own tenant and also added a dataset (Direct Query) from another tenant which was offered to us to built from there. 
We used the blogpost below as a reference for the appropriate settings.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-ie/blog/introducing-cross-tenant-power-bi-dataset-sharing/

It works fine, i can use the report in Power BI Service after i published it. 
However when i want to share it with my colleagues on accessing the report all the visuals can't be displayed. 
My colleagues all have premium and it is shared in a premium workspace. 

Can you guys help me out on what i am missing here? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. This works exactly like sharing getting data from semantic model from one workspace, create report in another and share. Viewers can only see a report if the have access to the original semantic model. The article specify: "These reports can be shared with other users in their own organization, provided that those users also have the requisite Azure AD guest credentials on the original provider tenant."

Those users must have read permission to the semantic model at the other tenant to view the report in your tenant.

I hope that helps,

P/D make sure you are not breaking any other consideration: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-dataset-external-org-share-abou...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. This works exactly like sharing getting data from semantic model from one workspace, create report in another and share. Viewers can only see a report if the have access to the original semantic model. The article specify: "These reports can be shared with other users in their own organization, provided that those users also have the requisite Azure AD guest credentials on the original provider tenant."

Those users must have read permission to the semantic model at the other tenant to view the report in your tenant.

I hope that helps,

P/D make sure you are not breaking any other consideration: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-dataset-external-org-share-abou...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks @ibarrau this helped a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors