Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bobbob123
Helper II
Helper II

Share POWER BI Report and Allow User to upload their own data

Hi,

I have a POWER BI report that is linked to an excel file. 
My users all have the same excel file but with different data (same structure/headers but with different values).

I want to share the POWER BI report online (service) to my users and allow them to upload their own excel file so that they have a unique dashboard/report based on their data from excel.

Note that my users don't have POWER BI desktop. They only have access to the POWER BI service (online) feature. 

Is there a way i can share the dashboard (blank with all the visuals) so that user can upload their excel file to it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sujatha1205

Hi @bobbob123 

You can store the Excel sheet in Sharepoint, give access to all the users. Create a separate column for each user and lock other columns in Excel, so that they can't edit other users data. Connect Excel sheet from Sharepoint to Power BI and create a unique report for each user. Create a Power Automate Flow to update and notify whenever they edit the data.

View solution in original post

AnalyticsWizard
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@bobbob123 

In Power BI Service, users cannot directly upload or replace datasets for a report unless they have edit permissions to the workspace where the report is published. However, there are some methods you can use to provide users with a personalized experience based on their own data:

1. Personal Workspace: You can distribute the .pbix file to your users, instructing them how to edit it in Power BI Desktop to point to their own Excel file, and then upload it to their personal workspace in Power BI Service. This does require them to use Power BI Desktop at least once to set it up.

2. Power BI Dataset Parameters: Create parameters in your Power BI report that define the path to the Excel file. Publish this report to a workspace where users have edit permissions. They can then go into the dataset settings in the service and change the parameters to point to their own Excel file stored in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online. This way, they can refresh the dataset with their own data.

3. OneDrive for Business: Store the Excel file in OneDrive for Business and connect your Power BI report to this file. Each user could then copy the report to their workspace and change the data source to point to their own OneDrive for Business file containing their unique data.

4. Template Apps: Develop a Power BI template app with parameters. When users install the template app, they can connect to their own data sources if the app is designed to allow such configuration.

5. Ask Your Users to Input Data into a Common System: Instead of distributing Excel files, consider asking users to input their data into a common system like a SharePoint list or a web form that writes to a database. You can then use this centralized data source for the Power BI report.

Unfortunately, options are limited without using Power BI Desktop or having some level of edit access to the workspace. It's important to note that providing users the ability to upload their own data to a report on Power BI Service could involve significant security and governance considerations. Make sure that you're compliant with your organization's policies and any relevant data protection regulations when implementing such solutions.

If this post helps, please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudo 👍

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AnalyticsWizard
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@bobbob123 

In Power BI Service, users cannot directly upload or replace datasets for a report unless they have edit permissions to the workspace where the report is published. However, there are some methods you can use to provide users with a personalized experience based on their own data:

1. Personal Workspace: You can distribute the .pbix file to your users, instructing them how to edit it in Power BI Desktop to point to their own Excel file, and then upload it to their personal workspace in Power BI Service. This does require them to use Power BI Desktop at least once to set it up.

2. Power BI Dataset Parameters: Create parameters in your Power BI report that define the path to the Excel file. Publish this report to a workspace where users have edit permissions. They can then go into the dataset settings in the service and change the parameters to point to their own Excel file stored in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online. This way, they can refresh the dataset with their own data.

3. OneDrive for Business: Store the Excel file in OneDrive for Business and connect your Power BI report to this file. Each user could then copy the report to their workspace and change the data source to point to their own OneDrive for Business file containing their unique data.

4. Template Apps: Develop a Power BI template app with parameters. When users install the template app, they can connect to their own data sources if the app is designed to allow such configuration.

5. Ask Your Users to Input Data into a Common System: Instead of distributing Excel files, consider asking users to input their data into a common system like a SharePoint list or a web form that writes to a database. You can then use this centralized data source for the Power BI report.

Unfortunately, options are limited without using Power BI Desktop or having some level of edit access to the workspace. It's important to note that providing users the ability to upload their own data to a report on Power BI Service could involve significant security and governance considerations. Make sure that you're compliant with your organization's policies and any relevant data protection regulations when implementing such solutions.

If this post helps, please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudo 👍

Sujatha1205

Hi @bobbob123 

You can store the Excel sheet in Sharepoint, give access to all the users. Create a separate column for each user and lock other columns in Excel, so that they can't edit other users data. Connect Excel sheet from Sharepoint to Power BI and create a unique report for each user. Create a Power Automate Flow to update and notify whenever they edit the data.

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @bobbob123 ,

yes, you can create it as template and share it with users https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-templates

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Idrissshatila  but my users don't have power bi desktop to open the file and link their data (excel file). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors