Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eyeampraveen
Frequent Visitor

Scheduled refresh fails frequently(not always)

Hi,

I have report on PowerBi service in a workspace which was scheduled to run every hour. Workspace used to be a premium capacity workspace, not anymore. Yet there are 23 slots for every hour in refresh frequency. 

Problem: Sometimes the scheduled refresh completes. But most of the times it fails with an error. 

Underlying error message:Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Capture.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

From your error it would appear that the connectivity from your Gateway server to the SQL Server cannot connect.

I would log into the gateway server and verify that you can successfully connect to the SQL Server.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I am certain that the gateway can successfully connect to the SQL Server.
The scheduled refresh completes successfully sometimes. Also, If I refresh the dataset manually it works all the time. 

I have attached a screenshot of refresh history in my first message.

I would enable the logs on the Gateway server and see what happens when the refresh fails.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors