Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

highlander25361
Regular Visitor

Scheduled Refresh

I have an shared excel document stored on SharePoint online which I have created a report from PowerBI Desktop.  I can refresh the data successfully in desktop. The problem is that once I have published it to service, it no longer updates. Ive gone into the Datasets and it says last refresh faield as at least one data source is missing credentials.

Ive gone to the Data Source credentails and can see the xlsx file with a warning saying no credentials. When I try to edit the credentials, I can see the path \\companyname365.sharepoint.com@SSL\DavWWWRoot\teams\filepath.   Authentication method is Windows without impersonation and the privacy level settings are, None, Private, Organisational or Public. None of these work

highlander25361_0-1671626140639.png

Any suggestions how to get this to work as I dont want to have to refresh the data in desktop and republish it every day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I managed to resolve the sync by changing the connection from the direct excel file to using the http address to the SharePoint file. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWG0uvgg5nM

Once published again, it allowed me to use auth2 authentication and set up the scheduler.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Ismaeel

How to schedule refresh for semantic models, refresh option is greyed out

Ismaeel_0-1707473088457.png

AbbasG
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@highlander25361 had a smiliar issue last week. Make sure your data source is online (check it on manage gateway page in power bi service)

If its offline consider re-installing your gateway.

I managed to resolve the sync by changing the connection from the direct excel file to using the http address to the SharePoint file. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWG0uvgg5nM

Once published again, it allowed me to use auth2 authentication and set up the scheduler.

Hi, I just faced with the same problem. I am trying to get the excel data from Onedrive. I started get data => web connector => copied the path/URL and pushed OK and got the following message. No credential asked for.

Is there any reason it is not getting through?

Thanks

PowerZs_0-1675185807144.png

Hi, Not sure how it will work from OneDrive as the YouTube video is for accessign the file from a SharePoint document library.    It might work though, you need to open the excel file in the desktop app and then click on File and Info then copy path.   Delete the ?web=1 from the end of the filename.  You then use that URL as URL for the web connector  

Thanks for your answer. I did exactly as proposed, opened in desktop => copied the path into the requested URL, no ?web=1 at the end of the path copied

And I think OneDrive and SharePoint should not have difference on that sense.

I am tying still resolve this but also web conector is not working with public web source as well like List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia

Hi AbbasG. I dont have any data gateways configured as the data is a spreadsheet hosted in a Sharepoint online document library.

MAwwad
Super User
Super User

Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Make sure that you have the correct permissions to access the Excel file on SharePoint Online. You will need at least read permissions to be able to refresh the data in Power BI.

2. Check the privacy level settings for the data source. In Power BI, go to the "Data Source Credentials" page for the dataset and make sure the privacy level is set to "Organizational" or "Public". If the privacy level is set to "Private", Power BI will not be able to access the data when it is published to the service.

3. Make sure that the Excel file is not open in another application. Power BI will not be able to refresh the data if the file is open in another program such as Excel or a browser.

4. Try refreshing the data in Power BI Desktop. If the data refreshes successfully in Power BI Desktop but not in the service, there may be an issue with the connection to the data source in the service. In this case, you may need to re-publish the report to the service with a new connection to the data source.

Thanks DataSlayer for the suggestions. Sadly none of them worked.  Ive got edit access to the spreadsheet.  Cleared and reset the credentials to Organisational including anyglobal permissions to other areas of the same site. Republished the report but its still thinking theres no valid credentails so wont schedule refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors