Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduled Refresh using alternate Windows Credentials

In the Power Query Editor (in PBI Desktop), when you connect to a SQL Server database you can choose to use Windows authentication instead of SQL Server credentials. You can also choose to provide alternate Windows credentials instead of using your own PBI logon username/password, which I did for one of my reports:
datasource.png

Now that I'm trying to get Scheduled Refresh working on PowerBI Service for this report, I am using a Personal Gateway and need to supply the Windows credentials again. Unfortunately, it seems like I cannot provide alternate Windows credentials using PBI Service, and the only options available to me are "WindowsWithoutImpersonation" which uses my own PBI credentials, or "Basic" which allows me to enter a username/password for what I assume are SQL Server credentials:

datasource2.png

Am I missing something? Can I supply alternate Windows credentials for Scheduled Refresh in PBI Service? I am hoping I do not need to get into creating custom data connectors just for this...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The problem may be that the account connected to SQL is not the same as the power bi service login account.

If you want to log in with alternate credentials, you need to log in to power Bi as the user.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LF7
Regular Visitor

@V-lianl-msft 

Hi, do you have another solutions as what you mentioned do not solve the issue. I have the exact same problem (using personal mode gateway) and there is not one single proper solution described on the forum regarding this.

How come this option is available in desktop and not in service?

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The problem may be that the account connected to SQL is not the same as the power bi service login account.

If you want to log in with alternate credentials, you need to log in to power Bi as the user.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, @V-lianl-msft. I think you answered my question, but I just want to confirm.

My question was whether it is possible to log in as one user, but supply a different Windows user/pw to access SQL Server from PBI Service. This is already something I can and have done with PBI Desktop. Are you saying it's impossible in PBI Service without logging into PBI as that user? Because that is not an option for me, the user I am trying to log into SQL Server with is a system-generated account that does not have a PowerBI account.

It sounds like my only other alternative is to create a custom data connector in M and use that data connector instead of the default SQL Server connector that PBI Service provides (which doesn't have the same functionality as PBI Desktop connector for some reason).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors