Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BA1503
Frequent Visitor

Schedule refresh for individual datasets within one file

Hi,

I have a desktop file with 4 datasets (all from SQL Server). I want to know if it's possible to have one dataset refresh weekly and the others refresh daily from one desktop file in Power BI Service?

For instance

Table 1 (SQL Server - Server 1) - Refresh Daily

Table 2 (SQL Server - Server 1) - Refresh Daily

Table 3 (SQL Server - Server 2) - Refresh Weekly

Table 4 (SQL Server - Server 1) - Refresh Daily

The servers are configured to one gateway connection. 

Is it possible to have this set up in power BI or will I have to set this schedule up at source (SQL)?

Thanks in advance.

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @BA1503 

If I was doing this I would probably create them seperately as dataflows in service. have them scheduled in the way you have mentioned. then connect all of the dataflows into a shared dataset in the pbix file

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @BA1503 

If I was doing this I would probably create them seperately as dataflows in service. have them scheduled in the way you have mentioned. then connect all of the dataflows into a shared dataset in the pbix file

Hi @DebbieE 

Thank you for your response. 

Apologies in advance for this next question, I'm fairly new with data flows in Power BI. 

Do I need to schedule the PBIX file still even if the dataflows are on a schedule refresh?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

A

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Apologies, Ive been on annual leave and missed your response. I think both a dataflow and dataset need data to be refreshed

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dataflow-vs-Dataset-refresh/td-p/572076

Its one Id like to have a look at in a bit more detail. I leave half an hour between mine but I would like to schedule them properly

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors